Interesting Leo Mazzone Interview

http://www.thesportscoach.com/preview/baseball/mazzone_dontmaxout.cfm

I personally think he’s the best pitching coach of our generation

what do you all think of the interview?

Careful Taylor or you’ll get all the “Marshallites” and “Houseites”, that read these posts upset. :shock:
I always say that you cannot argue with success, Dr. Marshall and Tom House are excellent, but they and few others have reached the levels of success that old “rocking Leo” has, as a Cubs fan I feel that it’s best that he left the Braves…As a Cubs fan I also believe that other teams should only be able to draft from the School of The Blind, Crippled and Crazy…but I digress.
The article only further strenghtens my thoughts on that matter and is why I still play catch almost daily with one or both of my sons (Though my oldest is a wildlands firefighter and is down in S. Fl. right now tackling those fires down there), besides the fact that we have a blast doing it that is.

You will not find an argument with me!

Jaret Wright, Mike Hampton, Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux. Etc.

He is one of the greatest pitching coaches of my generation. I mentioned Wright and Hampton because he really did a great job with these guys only for them to leave and become mediocore overpaid pitchers.

well wright did good in atlanta and then kinda sucked in new york

hampton was already mega overpayed when atlanta got him if my memory serves correctly and right now he’s just a 15 million bench warmer

but other then that, i made a post a week or two ago i believe about how kids are always whining about their arms because they never throw, and this was what I found when i was searching for various pitching articles

it makes alot of sense, especially his running analogy

Leo Mazzone’s success just cannot be argued with. I own his book, and I learned a lot about programs to keep throwing throughout the week and NOT have a sore arm. I used to do 3 pens a week plus, outfield practice. And of course, I was always taught “Hey you need to rifle those balls back in to build up your arm strength!” Well, after surgery and over a year of rehab, I figured I’d give Leo’s methods a shot. His scenarios are very interesting and have you throwing normally one pen plus one game a week. On off days, mostly just tossing or strength training. I find I throw much more often these days and my arm feels fresher. I would highly recommend his book “How to Pitch Like a Pro.” I know there will be some that swear he’s nuts, but I have a very happy, strong shoulder that thanks me for reading it.

Nick

There are those who say Leo Mazzone is nuts.
There are those who say that pitching coaches are nuts in general.
There are those who wouldn’t make a move without consulting with their pitching coaches.
There are pitching coaches who can’t pitch their way out of a paper bag, let alone show others how to do it. There are—but let me tell you about a presentation I did for the Jack Graney chapter of SABR in Cleveland a few years back.
It was, of course, about pitching coaches. Part One dealt with the origin of the concept, the history, the events that led to the PC becoming an essential member of the team. Part Two concerned an interesting trip to the zoo; I divided my discussion of these creatures into four categories. Category One was about the guys who knew what they were doing, who were or had been great pitchers and who could coach and teach. Category Two dealt with those who couldn’t pitch but who could coach and teach. Category Three was the opposite—they could pitch but couldn’t impart their wisdom to the pitchers. And Category Four—they were the hopeless cases who couldn’t do either. And there was also a subcategory of oddballs—I think you know which ones I refer to.
Leo Mazzone was definitely a Category Two. He had never pitched in the majors, but he knew a lot about pitching and how to get the pitchers to make the most of their capabilities; if some of them had stuck around they might have done what Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz accomplished. One thing I most assuredly agree with was his insistence that pitchers throw every day—maybe not pitching, but certainly throwing; more than anything else this will build up and maintain arm strength. I used to do that—even just playing catch for 15 or 20 minutes—a couple of bullpens a week, and doing what Allie Reynolds used to do, starting and also relieving between starts.
I had the good fortune to meet and work with one of the finest pitching coaches anyone could hook up with. His name was Eddie Lopat,and when he wasn’t beating the Cleveland Indians to an unrecognizable pulp, again and again, he doubled as an extra pitching coach for the Yankees. As a result of my burning curiosity about the slider, I asked him one day after a game, and his response was to take me aside and show me how to throw a good one. His basic premise was that every pitcher has a natural motion, and what he did was work with that pitcher to help him (or, in my case, her) make the most of one’s capabilities. What I learned from him in the almost four years we worked together was nothing short of priceless; he helped me become a more effective pitcher.
And that’s my 75 cent’s worth about pitching coaches. :baseballpitcher:

Whoops, there goes my computer again, repeating itself. I don’t know what I’m going to do about it.

Actually, that was your dollar and fifty cents worth. That’s okay though. You can’t get nothin’ for 75 cents anymore.

:twisted:

Oh, Dino—I had no idea inflation was so bad! (chuckle chuckle)