Intense overload training

with mike marshall he suggests using the iron ball and wrist weight to strengthen the arm for the stress required to pitch… so using the wrist weights, and a iron ball one can avoid injury by strengthening bones, tendons, ligaments, and muscles? so will this allow you to throw harder also? I understand that you must use marshalls mechanics to throw with these heavy items but will that strength, injury freeness and velocity carry over to normal mechanics?

im throwing around 70 with tendonitis, during my offseason I plan to do marshalls 120 day workout for highschool kids with the 10lb wrist weights, and 6lb iron ball. I hope to be pain free, and be throwing harder than ever after im done, hopefully around 81-83mph next season with a good curve, and screwball ala marshall.

I would like this to stay about the training with really heavy balls and wrist weights, and not turn into another marshall discussion I know it will be hard but have some self control. thanks

Do NOT mistakenly use Marshall training methods and attempt to improve traditional mechanics. These are 2 completely separate motions. Completely different!!!

If you’re going to do Marshall, then do Marshall. It’s an all or nothing endeavor. This site is not one where you will learn anything about Marshall mechanics or training.

I know you’ve read lots on baseball-fever about Marshall, so you’ve heard all of the arguments against the claims they make and the lack of evidence they have supporting their claims. If you’re still sold on his method, then make sure you do it his way, including the training.

i doubt i want to do that, I heard scouts wont even look at you even if you throwin 100 just because you throw that way… where are some forums where I can learn alot about his motion?

The main problem of addressing your question has to do with you and your overall stage(s) of growth - age - health history and personal diet disciplines… so on and so forth that someone … anyone… miles away with a static or variable exercise/strength and conditioning program, sport specific or not, is attempting to address your personal needs and goals.

A program like the one your asking about, trying to advising you with a how-to “get better” program is basically assuming a ton of stuff right off the bat that may or may not fit your profile as a person who is in the “right phase” of being receptive - pyhsique and health wise to conduct such a program. And mind you, your doing this on your own … ala-cart with the proponent of such a program NOT being there with you to insure your doing things right! Hence, your here on this site asking away.

I am neither a proponent or detractor of any program on the market today. I AM however, a witness first hand of young men that have passed through my office and training camps that have used the programs that your cultivating opinions about — but neglect the really fundamental issues supporting the everyday growing process of solid nutrition, sleep management, and researching competent coaching with a one-on-one experience. Please note that I’m not assuming that you neglect these foundations, I’m just bring them to your attention as a point of information.

May I suggest the following web site: http://www.kidshealth.org, and then select STAYING HEALTHLY.

I will however offer this suggestion if you really want to build a professional style strength and conditioning program for yourself that’s so simple, straight forward and without any detractions … TUFFCUFF. If your going to spend time and money, this is an investment that will serve you well beyond your playing days. Over the years I’ve worked with trainers and volumes of conditioning manuals and stacks of my own notes on the subject(s), but when I found this publication - it basically said it all.

i hope I gave you some direction that is positive and helpful.

Coach B.

don’t do marshall. weak track record. do a long toss/jobe, weight program and lots of 70% bullpens to avoid the tendonitis (after an extended rest-the only way to get rid of tendonitis in my opinion).

it’s that simple. then you either have it or you don’t. if you don’t have it, learn the knuckleball or how to load it up.

[quote=“dusty delso”]don’t do marshall. weak track record. do a long toss/jobe, weight program and lots of 70% bullpens to avoid the tendonitis (after an extended rest-the only way to get rid of tendonitis in my opinion).

it’s that simple. then you either have it or you don’t. if you don’t have it, learn the knuckleball or how to load it up.[/quote]

im actually working on a knuckleball in 3 weeks I have it down to no spin but about 4 or 5 revolutions which is like a screwball motion. and how to load it up? what doyou mean?

when i say load it up i mean throwing the spitter (not exactly legal). if you don’t have a plus fastball and can throw a good knuckleball that is worth something. keep at it.

lol your the man dusty, how exactly do you load it up pretty quick, easy, and hidden? im not gonna do it just yet but I may have to resort to it, in the mean time ill be working on my fastball, curveball, changeup, and knuckle ball.