Inside too often

I am a right-handed pitcher and am consistently inside on right-handed batters. What are the causes of this? Glove side foot? Location on the mound? Thanks

You may be one to benefit by turning your post leg foot no more than 1/2" towards the target upon setup to the rubber. Put your foot against the rubber as you would when pitching from the stretch. Before you do anything turn [internally rotate] your post leg foot just a tad inward. Just try it!

Are you consistently outside to LHB’s? If so, then it sounds like you could be rushing; your arm isn’t all the way up and ready at the moment that your shoulders start to turn.

If you are consistently inside to both RHB’s and LHB’s, then out could be that you are looking at the batter and not the glove. Make sure your eyes are locked on the glove because that is where the ball will tend to go.

Two factors one is the obvious, you are releasing the ball too soon. This could be rushing or your release point is not out in front. Your stride may also be inconsistent. My son had this problem and he adjusted his stride length. Sometimes he’d stride to short and sometimes too long. If you have a camcorder or digital camera you can try and video yourself.

Either way good luck and see if you can find a good instructor in your area. An instructor who is qualified and has some pitching experience via Minor or Major League. The best 40.00 I ever spent was on a local instructor here in Cali who let me videotape his instruction. I still have the tape 'til this day and we still perform some of those drills.

Missing your spot side-to-side can be caused by a number of things. For example, opening up the shoulders too early will cause your arm to drag and that usually results in an inside pitch. Ultimately, without seeing you the best any of us here can do is suggest possible causes. But missing side-to-side is often caused by a posture change during your delivery. Posture is the spine-to-hips-releationship (i.e. the angle between them). You need to pick a starting posture that you can maintain through your delivery. Make sure your head tavels only to your target - no side-to-side movement.

Develop good mechanics, (whatever in the world that means :smiley: ) and then practice, practice, practice throwing from a mound at targets, in some organized fashion. No real magic.

Make sure your mechanics are repeatable. Your body will figure out, with practice, what it needs to do.

Most of the time when I see RHP consitently miss to the right it is because of the thier pitching hand finishing near their right leg, not getting a good follow through. Think while you are pitching about slapping your back on the follow through (you might not actually hit your back but just think about it) and it will help.

Redsox that is a good cue. Never thought of that one.

There are two things you need to address. One is the basic mechanics “flaw” that causes you to miss consistently inside. The other posters have addressed this. The other is what to do during a game when you find yourself consistently missing inside. Usually during a game attempting to change your mechanics doesn’t work very well. You need to learn how to adjust your location off of where your pitches are going on a given day.

One of the things I have my pitchers do during bullpens is throw to a target a foot outside, then to a target a foot inside, then to the outside corner and finally to the inside corner. This drill helps you get a feel for making location adjustments.

When I pitched on a good day I could live low and outside, other days the ball would go down the middle, inside or up when I tried to throw low and outside. If on a given day I was missing consistently in one direction I’d simply move my aimpoint to try and get the ball where I really wanted it. If I was missing in all different directions I simply tried to find a way to throw strikes and got ready to duck.

One other thought is if you are going to miss, inside is the place to be…pitch inside to win outside !

I have seen many great replies to this question. In my opinion, it might boil down to two simple things Steven Ellis talks about in some of his pitching drills…Did the pitcher land the length of his height? Did the pitcher stride in a straight line toward his target?

If you answered “no” to those two questions, then there’s where you should start.

If you answered “yes”, then perhaps your throwing arm isn’t stretched out long before your four forward movement, therefore sneakin’ it in through the side instead of staying on top.

I have found the most common factor to missing inside is, as mentioned before, that separation from hands out of glove soon enough is not happening. If you are carrying the ball in your glove as you start your movement to the plate then you have to play catch up with your arm which usually results in not being able to get on top and out front upon release. I also find that pitchers miss high as well as inside when this is happening. I have pitchers go back to the basics for a few repetitions - balance, separate, and go.