Inner Arm Pain

My 9 yo son has been complaining recently of inner arm pain, where the bicep and forearm meet. It usually occurs when throwing 100% during games, and he hasn’t been over throwing. He throws a fastball (low 50’s), an offspeed pitch and a “football” pitch. No curves.

Any off-the-cuff-diognoses for this one? I’d welcome any questions as well.

Thx

I would consider any (considerate) comment from an interested person who may have observed this complaint to be off-the-cuff without an actual video to observe his motion.

Your comment, however, is worthless, and unexpected from this type of forum.

[quote=“ktpinnacle”]I would consider any (considerate) comment from an interested person who may have observed this complaint to be off-the-cuff without an actual video to observe his motion.

Your comment, however, is worthless, and unexpected from this type of forum.[/quote]

No it’s not. Anyone complaining of arm pain should ultimately see a doctor, trainer, etc, especially if the pain is at the spot where the bicep and forearm meet.

Hi KT,

It would be helpful to have a more definitive description as to location. Are you describing the bony knob on the medial side of the elbow or are you describing something more toward the ‘crease’ of the elbow. It makes considerable difference anatomically.

Coach45

KT,

I agree with Coach45 - a more precise description of the location of the pain would be good. I’d also like to hear exactly how much your son throws per game and how much rest he gets afterwards.

Also, a “football” pitch is a breaking pitch in my book and I’d like to know how many of these pitches your son throws.

Sounds like bicep tendonitis. Does he short arm the ball?

Thanks for the interest . . .

The pain is located on the crook of the left arm, the area where the forearm and bicep meet. No pain on the inside or outside of the elbow. No shoulder pain. It does not persist after pitching.

He’s nine, throws mid-50’s max, but normally in the low 50’s. We’re working with him completing his motion to the outside of his knee. He has had a tendency to short arm that I saw after breaking down film I took of him last fall.

Our league has a strict policy to not over throw. More than 40 pitches in a game results in a one-game sitting period until the next pitching opportunity. He’s normally in CF or 1B otherwise. We also try to adhere to that guideline during pitching practice as well.

KT,

It sounds like you are describing discomfort in the brachiallis muscle. Given the tendency to short arm as you describe this is predictable, and this is a very common problem. The fix for this is teaching handbreak in a different way so that the arm ends up longer in the back and gets the ball up slightly BEFORE the stride foot plants. If you want more definitive info send me a PM.

I worked with a HS sophomore on Sunday (tremendous athlete who’s already 6’4) who does the same thing as your son, with the same consequence. He learned what to do differently in the space of about an hour and his arm was feeling much better.

Best wishes to you and your son.

Coach45

Edited to add: Roger is correct that the ‘football’ pitch is a breaking ball…this is the beginnings of a slider where his hand is coming around the outside of the ball. This adds to the elbow discomfort you are describing and is a distinct no-no for youngsters.