Injury causes me bad mechanics?

Last night was the first time I came back from my injury. My arm felt good warming up and when I was practicing my pitching before the game I had a bit of trouble locating. When I went into the game, my location was horrible, throwing high fastballs, and my curveballs were hanging.

I got 1 IP, 1 R, 4 H, and 2 SO. I was disappointed, but I also knew I wasn’t going to do very good without throwing hard in the last 9 games.

And also, my brother who plays shortstop on the team, noticed that I threw slower than my usual. I felt like I was throwing my hardest…

What can I do to get back to my usual state?

No place like the beginning … what injury are you recovering from?

Coach B.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]…

No place like the beginning … what injury are you recovering from?

Coach B.[/quote]

A shoulder strain or tendonitis. The doctor said that I have a shoulder strain and I researched it up and I had some symtoms for tendonitis.

I want to keep this as simple as possible and yet do you the justice that you came here for.

If I’m not being too personal - what did the injury(s) result from?

Also, There are major (real important) reasons for your doctor telling you that you have one or the other - maybe both. Could you be more specific? I ask becuase a shoulder strain has implications that require addressing a totally different set of precautions than tendonitis. There are similarities, but different.

And that last sentence prompts me to say that recovery for any or both injuries is a delicate thing to manage with a youngster. Easy does it.

With the more mature competitor - a simple set of exercises BEFORE a practice session gets underway is always done. I’m sure Steven can voice his opinions on how exacting and demanding some of his routines were.

In any event, if you can take a small empty cardboard box and lift it off the floor and place it on your head, bring your arms down to your side and leave it on your head, then reach up and remove the box and place it back on the ground – and no pain, that’s a good sign. This one of the method that I use to use in conjuction with other professional personnel to start off a guy coming off an injury to the shoulder.

What’s with the box?

Your bending down, placing both hands open on the sides of the box, gripping the box, then raising it over the head with the arms close together and fingers still spread along the sides to grip it, bringing the arms down, then back up again, spreading the fingers against the side of the box, pressing your hands against the sides to grip it, then bringing the box back down on the ground … uses all the muscles and tendons from the shoulders to the arms - along the humorous bone then along the ulna and radius, then the carpals and metacarpals. In effect what your doing is to test your injury area for pain … a little discomfort maybe - pain is a no go. Remember, this is an empty small cardboard box. No stress test here.

You should have a set of routines that have been prescribed for you and maybe even medication that may have been prescribed.

Again, if I’m not being too personal- are there excercises that your directed to do and medication that your required to take?

Coach B.

I feel no pain if I raise my arm over my head anymore.