Indoor bullpen videos *New video outdoors throwing 90

comments

Well your an athletic little right hander so you have to use velocity to your best advantage. Here’s a tip try instead of tucking your glove side in really hard at leg plant, simply point your right forearm at the target with your right thumb down and your bent lead leg planted solid and pointing at the target. Really try to feel that instant in your mind, it helps speed up the process. then instead of trying to get on top of the ball and out front, let your right arm just relax in a good cocked position, and then just let it lay back and get out front. Your arm is going to fly through much quicker and easier, and combine with an explosive shift of weight forward onto your front leg, finishing with your right arm elbow near your left knee. and your back leg bringing everything with you, most guy’s legs fly up but some stay relatively low with the hips.

Could you explain this? And thanks for the other tips.

Many of the techniques you display are good. There is one point though I want to make concerning the different approaches you have with various pitches. The third video you have posted, shows you throwing a changeup (assuming you are using the same catcher signals I do) on the last pitch. In comparison to the two fastballs before it, you actually stop your forward momentum at the top of the leg lift, instead of letting the momentum flow through into the rest of the delivery. This creates two problems. One, it reduces the amount of momentum you have go into the delivery and therefore the amount of power you have. Second, when the energy flows from forward momentum to rotational power it creates a certain release point. Now I do not know what kind of pitcher you are but I am assuming that you throw fastballs as your staple pitch. If this is true, then the lower release point on the fastball will be different from the chagneup, instead of being similar. This is because you have pulled up on the pitch and are not striding as far. This will make it harder to throw that off-speed when you need to. Also, though I doubt it, the batter may be able to pick up on the different approach and recognize that you throwing a chagneup before you do.

Okay that all makes sense. I am kind of confused though because when I watch the third video I cant see much of a difference between my mechanics in the fast ball at 10 seconds then the changeup at 17 seconds. I do think i slowed my arm down a little. I’ve always had trouble throwing my changeup and having enough velocity off of it. When I first got to college 4 years ago my fb was 87-88 with a 84mph changeup. Needless to say i scrapped the pitch for awhile and worked on it outside of games.

So i;m going to look at it again and see if i can better understand what you mean.

I think you look pretty good.

Are there any concerns you have about your delivery?

What I meant by that is you have to use your body to the best of your ability. Throw as hard as you can, don’t try to throw harder. Understand what I mean by that; by not trying to throw harder your allowing your body to naturally do the best it can and just throw as hard as you possibly can in a confident relaxed state. What I think your trying to do is throw hard but you can’t really feel it in your mind, so your finish is off. Just do what your doing more explosively and feel your arm scapula loading at foot plant and your relaxed wip of your arm out front and down. FINISH. explode that back leg so that you could pick something up off the ground with your throwing hand way out front if you wanted. BE relaxed through it all. For optimal usage you have to be able to see it and feel it in your mind before the pitch.

I’m still kind of confused. I think what you’re saying is that my right leg on the follow through isn’t explosive enough? I believe that is due to how tight my hipflexor is as well as my groin.

I am currently rehabbing to fix that problem which has been pointed out by a pitching evaluator for the Red Sox.

[quote=“101mph”]I think you look pretty good.

Are there any concerns you have about your delivery?[/quote]
Not really, just any comments are helpful

Yeah thats exactly what I’m talking about and I know about that my flexibility is still be worked on cause I’m a lot stronger than I am flexible.

Oh well then thanks for that advice then. I’ve been doing a drill where i go through my throwing motion and pull my follow through leg over a char or tire thats propped up.

Watch where your foot is when you are lowering the leg with the change-up versus the fastball that is where the the loss of forward momentum is seen. Also concerning how to throw the change-up. The purpose of a change-up is to be thrown at fastball “arm-speed” with a considerable difference in “ball-speed”. There are effective change-up pitches that I have seen that are very good at being deceptive and reducing velocity. One is the classic circle change. The keys to this pitch are to hold the ball very loosely and let the grip do the work. The idea behind are that the ball comes out the back of the hand instead of the front so the ball literally “floats” into the strike zone. The second is the box or palm ball. The exact opposite of the circle by creating friction to the slow down the ball. This one I am not as familiar with but find the release point and stick to it. The last one is the “vulcan grip”. This is a new one I have seen and it is essentially a derivative off a splitter. Holding the ball between middle and ring finger it is thrown exactly like a fastball with some downward movement. This one is probably the most deceptive.

This was in Georgia at a pro tryout that i went to.

The first 93 he says isn’t in regards to me but the first three pitches i threw were 90 mph. You can hear the guy running the radar behind the screen say 90.

You have some great mechanics and can definitely fire the ball, but the stride down the hill needs some work. Watch this video of Lincecum and yours, and take note of the leg extension that Lincecum gets when going down the hill. Now granted you won’t look quite like that simply because Lincecum is taller but the idea remains the same. When you are coming down the hill you never fully extend your leg and open up the lower body before you land. This causes inconsistencies in the release point and reduced velocity. The reason for this is because without the forward momentum to direct your energy once you start rotating your chest will not be focused on the plate. This forces you to compensate with your arm creating those inconsistencies. This is the best point I can give you from that video, though a side view or even one that was closer would be better.

I am actually 5’11 even though i’m registered at 6" on the athletic website for my school. I believe Tim Lincecum is also 5’11 although some say he is shorter than that. I believe he was also listed at 6 ft on UW’s website

Tim himself has stated that he is roughly 5’10". He is just lanky, making him look taller.

I was referring more to his lankiness more than anything, but ok.

Is Lanky the new polite way to call someone skinny?? 8)

just keeedding