Increase

I know there has been great discussion on here about bench press. I personally think it is good, but I mostly use it as a upper body measuring tool for my strength. I am 5’6" 111 and my max is 105. In late June my max was 85, so I have gone up about 5 pound a month. Is that a good rate or is it fast or too slow!

Thanks for your help!

You need to gain some weight. I am trying to picture 5’6" and 111, so you must be a very skinny dude, right?

Anyway, 5 pounds a month is good, especially considering your own bodyweight and age. It is a 25% increase, which is pretty good.

As you add weight to your frame, and you continue to grow, you will see the numbers start to stack up faster. I wouldnt worry about it too much right now though. Dont try to rush yourself and wind up injuring something. One thing you could do is to add incline, decline and db benching to your routine. You will definitely increase your bench that way.

But the real question remains… how much can you squat? :wink:

sooooo true…personally at that age i would be lifting a light weight, getting my technique down on squat, deadlift and bench for 2-3months before i tried to add any weight?

It is kind of funny… I guess. For the most part, your strength perception is tied to how much you can bench. Probably the most overrated and overtrained lift that there is. The sad part is that the best lifts, like squats, cleans, dips, etc. are not given the fanfare.

Oh well…

Yes, I do squat and do leg press’s, and my coach told me squat is the best thing you can do…
And yes I am trying to gain weight(I actually gained 2 lbs. this week), and I am on a semi weight gaining plan

Thanks for the extra info!!

Be careful with the bench. Individual dumbbells are better than a stratght barbell, but neither are “ideal” for pitchers. You actually can do quite well with push-ups. I know they’re not glam, but they work.

Also, what kind of work are you doing to offset the chest development? Anything for your upper back or scapular muscles (shoulder blades)? It’s always important to work both sides of the body equally, especially for an activity such as pitching, where one muscle tweak can put you on the DL.

My TUFFCUFF program, out shortly, addresses scapular stabilzation at length and provides numerous exercises (including different dumbbell benches) to build more balanced strength.

Let us know how your strength training goes.

My coach also told me he wanted me to start taking Protien. I told my parents but that aren’t sure if they want me to take it yet. I am 14 and I was wondering if that was too young. They just want to know if its is safe to take at my age. Also what kind(s) are good and works.

Well, protein isnt really age specific. Whey is a byproduct of diary that is very high in protein and low in carbs and fat. Have you parents check out the wikipedia entry

. As long as you aren’t lactose intolerant, you will be fine.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey is the best I have had so far.

Yeh, i second that!