Increase speed and accuracy

What are some drills for increasing my speed and accuracy (I throw a 2 seam and 4 seam fastball, and a 3 finger changeup.)

I think this needs to be addressed as two different things - for control, shorten the distance of the catcher and work on hitting your spots, moving the catcher back only when you’re hitting spots with 80% accuracy. For velocity, it’s a combination of mechanics and conditioning. What are you currently doing on this front?

For conditioning (besides practices) I run for 30 minutes to an hour everyday. Also, I haven’t talked to all my coaches about pitching (Ive just said something to my head coach and I figured I should re learn my mechanics before I have to show my coaches what i can do)

Let’s take the accuracy first.
Here’s what I used to do when I was a little snip and continued well into my playing days. I would get a catcher, and we would go to an unused playing field, and I would take the mound while he set up behind the plate with the mitt and the mask. We would then play a little game we called “ball and strike”, in which he would position his mitt in various spots, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head :lol: —and I would concentrate on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt: actually, throwing through the mitt, not just at it. I did this with all my pitches, at different speeds, including the crossfire (I was one of those infuriating sidearmers), and what a sweet, satisfying feeling it was to hear that resounding “THWACK” as the ball landed solidly in the pocket of that mitt. We would go at it for an hour or so at a time; it was lots of fun and a terrific workout, and I can’t think of anything better to sharpen up one’s control. At times we would have someone stand in the batter’s box, either side, so I could really work on the strike zone.
The other thing is—THE SECRET.
I learned this a long time ago, when I was really getting into some serious pitching. I went to Yankee Stadium (the original ballpark) every chance I got, and I would watch the pitchers, and I noticed something that the Yankees’ Big Three rotation was doing. Those guys were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, itseemed to me, seamless) motion, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches. The motion just flowed, all the way up through the shoulder and the arm, and I realized that what they were doing was the real key to a pitcher’s power; they were also taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder, so they were throwing harder—and faster—with less effort. I saw just how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own.
As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I discovered that I was doing the same thing they were. Maybe I wasn’t much on speed the way Raschi and Reynolds were, but I found I could throw harder with less effort, I was following through much more smoothly, and not a sore arm or a sore elbow or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else in the bunch! And, mirabile dictu, I actually did pick up some speed, and I ended up with an 81-mile-an-hour four-seamer which Ed Lopat told me was, for a finesse pitcher such as I, was a fast ball! (I also worked on this with a catcher behind the plate who gave me regular feedback on how I was doing.)
These two specific workouts will do a great deal toward helping you with both control and velocity. You can’t go wrong with them. :slight_smile: 8)

As I said I am relearning my mechanics, and regaining somethings, and I have a few questions

-Sense I am a freshmen, do I have enough time to improve before applying to college

-Do colleges want pitcher or fielders more

-What can I do in the offseason (winter) to practice pitching without messing up my arm when it’s cold out?

-Would it help to post a video of my pitching mechanics?

running for an hour every day is one of the worst things you can do for your velocity. You aren’t training for an aerobic sport.

Really? (I run cross country) and I was told that running for a small amount of time everyday increases leg strength (with is one of the most key muscles that you use in baseball).

I was on the same exact path as you man. I ran cross country freshman and sophomore years. It’s no surprise I made minimal strength gains at best, and couldn’t even break 165lbs at 6’3." Quitting cross country and focusing on training for baseball year round was the best choice I ever made for my game. I’m 210lbs now, which never would have happened if I continued my running habit.

here’s some info eric cressey wrote on the matter (he’s THE top name in strength and conditioning for high school, college and professional pitchers)

http://ericcressey.com/a-new-model-for-training-between-starts-part-1

The thing is though, as much as i want to play baseball (and I am extremly passionate about it)…as a Freshmen I was on the Varsity Cross Country Sqaud and was doing really good, after I ran I gained more Stamina, stronger legs, and less injuries (I previously tore my left quad)

it’s your choice. All I’m saying is if you want to reach your potential in baseball, that is not the way to do it.

[quote=“LankyLefty”]I was on the same exact path as you man. I ran cross country freshman and sophomore years. It’s no surprise I made minimal strength gains at best, and couldn’t even break 165lbs at 6’3." Quitting cross country and focusing on training for baseball year round was the best choice I ever made for my game. I’m 210lbs now, which never would have happened if I continued my running habit.

here’s some info eric cressey wrote on the matter (he’s THE top name in strength and conditioning for high school, college and professional pitchers)

http://ericcressey.com/a-new-model-for-training-between-starts-part-1[/quote]

The University of Maryland says your 190 lbs…

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/brewster_ben00.html

Check his blog page 30, it says his weight was up 198. On a subsequent post, he reports that he is up to 205.

They usually don’t update the press guide on a daily or even a monthly basis.

http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5449&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=348

So what are some drill I can do (Alone) to increase my accuracy (all I have is a rebounder that doesn’t have a strike zone on it).

I’ll try to get a video up soon.

Can you paint or tape boxes on it. Divide it into 9 quadrants and work on hitting each target