Increase of pitch velocity

Im a 15 year old pitcher and throw in the mid 70’s. I was wondering if there is a set mph (7 mph, 10mph, ect…) you can gain untill u cant throw any faster. Id like to break 90 mph or is it physically impossible to work your arm out to reach that speed? thanks
-chris

First of all, and you’re probably sick of hearing this, velocity is only a part of the equation. Actually, i would think mid 70’s would be pretty fair for a 15 year old. That’s what i threw when i was 15. A lot of guys don’t gain real velocity until their last year of HS or so.
Of course, that was 15 years ago. It took me, for example, until NOW to increase my velocity to mid 80’s, but I didn’t pitch in HS, i was a CF-RF, and didn’t start pitching until i was 24 or 25.
What you might consider is this: just go out and throw. that’s a good start for most. if you’re going to concern yourself with curves and sliders, remember that those pitches carry a risk of injury for young pitchers. You can always learn them later on in higher levels. Start with a good, strong changeup, because most hitters can’t handle a top level change, and if they do hit it you’ve got yourself a GB out anyway. Pitching is all about timing and the disrupting of it, hitting your spots and controlling your mechanics. I’ve pitched a number of games in which i threw 75% FB/Sinker, 25% CU, and needed nothing else.
It’s hard to convince yourself that throwing a slower pitch will actually help you, but a lot of batters you face will be just as nervous as you, even more so, and you can use that to your advantage by disrupting their timing. Learning a good sinker is also a good way to go, but takes some practice. It puts less strain on your arm than, say, a slider, and when thrown well takes less strength and can allow you to go farther into games.

thanks alot for the reply. I usually throw 200-215 pitches a day without feeling any fatigue at all. I have access to a batting cage in my back yard. I try to stay away from the curve ball but its hard getting into the pitching rotation in high school ball without throwing one. Im going to be pitching for the varsity team this year as a sophmore and would defintitly like to step my game up. I pitched a few games last year as a freshman and did pretty good. Thanks again for the reply.

That’s a lot of pitches. And while it’s great that you’re not experiencing fatigue, it’s also a reason your pitch velocity is not what it likely could be. (70s mph is great for 15, but I’d bet you could throw harder.)

Think of throwing every day like weight lifting the same muscle groups every day. (Of course, you probably already know you that shouldn’t do that!)… But here’s why: every time you lift weights, the muscles worked incur microscopic tears that – when properly recovered – repair a tiny bit stronger each time.

The key for strength gains is to follow a smart weight lifting that schedules proper rest in between workouts.

Every time you throw, the shoulder, rotator cuff, scaps, lats, biceps, triceps, (and even the legs and core, etc.) all incur those microscopic tears – just like lifting weights.

So… throwing 200+ pitches every day tears down the muscle. Then the next day, the muscle tears down a little more. Then the next day, the muscle tears down again. And again. And again. At some point, the throwing muscles never get a chance to rest, repair and recover. And if those muscles don’t rest, repair, and recover, they can’t get stronger – and you won’t throw harder.

(Actually, over the course of the season, you’ll likely lose velocity and increase your chances of injury… hence, the overuse injuries that are so prevalent in baseball these days.)

I found the best way for me to increase my pitching velocity at my age was to lift weights. I also longtossed.

lifting is not always the best thing to do but it can help. dont only work on the upper body though. do rotator cuff stuff but also do bench press, tricepts, squats, and most importantly core. Also longtoss is very good. Throwing 200+ pitches a day might not hurt you now…but in the long run that might catch up to you.

hey lib baseball, this thread is a little old. i would just stay with the newer posts and help with the questions being asked nowadays.

if you want to throw harder, make sure to warm up
find someone you trust and throw as hard as you can
but not for more than 4 innings pitched

if you throw 200+ pitches everyday at near maximum velocities you are a prime candidate for tendonitis or worse.

if you’re throwing at about 70% maximum, that might be ok but that is too much even in my opinion as an aggressive trainer. i like the long toss/cage toss daily with bullpens every other day and 7 to 9 innings per week maximum for high school aged pitchers.

let us know how you progress, i’m interested in keeping up with you.

Just a little bit to add at this point. Building a muscle is tearing it right? So after you build a muscle by throwing you should do some aerobic exercise to get the blood flowing to those areas before you ice down. Blood flow equals oxygen to the area, and can remove wastes as well. I always tell the kids I work with to run after the game they pitch in before icing down. If you ice down before running, it brings down the swelling and slows the flow of blood. Also it is good to take certain days during the week to run and break your weightlifting cycles. When weightlifting you do the same tearing of muscles and one day of running aids in the recovery of said muscles. Just do not ice before running. I know it brings down the swelling, but get some oxygen in there first, then ice to your hearts content :slight_smile: