Incorporating Lower Body Into your mechanics more

How do you incorporate the lower body more and get that fast torque to help take the strain off your arm? I know its a pretty much vague question.
But what things can you change to incorporate lower body more?
I’ll try to get up a video soon.

One thing I have thought of is the pelvic tilt or load, were you get very low as you separate.

I think If I can use my legs more my arm will thank me for it, and be able to pitch more innings and more gas. In my opinion, I already think I’m strong.

I’ll try to post a video up soon

It’s important that you get your whole body into the action, because not only will doing this enable you to get more power behind your pitches but also take a lot of pressure off your arm and shoulder. I remember when I was a kid and I would go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got; I liked to watch the pitchers, and I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three were all doing the same thing. They were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and seamless) motion, and that was how they would generate the power behind their pitches, not to mention that it took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder because said arm and shoulder seemed to be just going along for the ride. I saw exactly how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I discovered that not only was I getting more power into my pitches I was also throwing harder and faster than I had been doing, with much less effort. And not a sore arm or sore shoulder or sore anything else in the bunch! And—me a snake-jazzer!—I ended up with an 81MPH four-seamer which, as my pitching coach told me, was a decent fast ball!
There are various exercises and drills you can do which can be found in Tom House’s “The Art and Science of Pitching”; among them is one called the Hershiser drill which aims at getting the hips into action. That can be your first step. :slight_smile: 8)

How were they doing this?

Based on this video from May of this year, what do you guys think needs help based on just the lower body, what am I not doing right with my lower body? What specifically?

JR,

Looking quickly at your video, it appears to me the you need to work on your arm action. It would be nice to have a front view also (and and side view of some decent 30fps video) but it looks to me like your arm is getting trapped behind your body and you “short arm” the ball as you getting to and through the high cocked position (timing and arm action issues). It is quite possible this arm action you have is causing some of your elbow problems.

It also appears that you could use a faster tempo (again hard to tell from this video frame rate) and more intent to throw the ball hard. Basically a little more “giddyup” in your throw.

You should try a little “longer” arm action (instead now your arm looks a little "pinched against and behind your body) and also try getting out over your front foot more (ending up with your back more parallel to the ground).

[quote=“101mph”]JR,

Looking quickly at your video, it appears to me the you need to work on your arm action. It would be nice to have a front view also (and and side view of some decent 30fps video) but it looks to me like your arm is getting trapped behind your body and you “short arm” the ball as you getting to and through the high cocked position (timing and arm action issues). It is quite possible this arm action you have is causing some of your elbow problems.

It also appears that you could use a faster tempo (again hard to tell from this video frame rate) and more intent to throw the ball hard. Basically a little more “giddyup” in your throw.

You should try a little “longer” arm action (instead now your arm looks a little "pinched against and behind your body) and also try getting out over your front foot more (ending up with your back more parallel to the ground).[/quote]

This was back in May, when I was having elbow problems, now my elbow doesn’t hurt at all, It was just a bullpen, when I was rehabbing so it wasn’t basically 100% effort. My mechanics look different now. The only thing I have a problem with is now Shoulder Issues, I’m gonna go to the doctor soon, to see if I can get an MRI to make sure nothing is wrong. The shoulder issues are probably from overuse of my arm and not using legs much. That’s why I asked what’s up with my lower body here, but Its probably hard cause its not 100% effort. I’m gonna try and post a new video soon. Thanks though 101 mph.