Inconsitent from the stretch

Ok hey guys over the past two games or so ive had some significant trouble pitching from the stretch i had tried to change my stretch not too long ago and it hasnt worked out too well so im going back to my old ways but i have a few questions.

1. I feel like 90% of my weight is on my back legs now im no expert but i dont think thats right your only supposed to have a slight bend in the knee right?

2. I find myself off balance a lot and my coaches have pointed out thats one of my problems could this be solved simply by leaning foward a little bit more for instance if im in the stretch facing 3rd leaning over a bit towards 3rd or is there usually an underlying probelm that can cause people to be off balance (assuming you’ve never seen me pitch)

To give you some sort of depiction of the mechanics im trying to achieve and that are closest to my current ones this video of Roy Halladay is probally closest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yy49QnhiaU

It really frustrates me that ive been inconsitent from the stretch since its always been my strong point. Im looking for some tips to improve on that thanks guys.

Im going to try to get a video up but not sure how good it will be only have my phone to take it with.

why people off balance,

did you see that?? the front legs is not straight up
that is one of the main reason why F-rod always off balance when he followthrough phase

if your front is straight up but still off balance?

there may be reasons that include

some people tend to pitch with max effort !! .

as a result, after followthrough phase, some of their front legs can not hold their upper body still

and also that most of their back leg tend to hang up high in the air which drives their whole body balance off the mound

Examples:
NYY relief, David Robertson
Red Sox, Clay Buchholz
Reds, Chapman

some people who can stand still with their back leg high in the air like

Tim Lincecum,(sometimes he does off balance)
Cliff Lee

high front leg, (means short stride distance , which means not even 100 % of their height )

you can go and look at all the front low leg pitchers like Nolan Ryan, Maddux, Roy Oswalt, Roger Clemens etc with more than 100% of their height stride distance

even though ryan and oswalt tend to pitch max effort sometimes , and drive their back leg hanging in the air

but because of their low front leg and body balance, which enables them to stand still on the mound without off balance

However there are also some examples of high front leg(not even 100% of their height stride distance) that does not off the body balance after followthrough phase

examples:
Matt Latos (but his front leg is straight up not like F-ROD)
Harange

below are people who can not stand still due to their front leg is not straight up and also not stride 100 % of their height

Justin Verlander

if you have a chance look at Mariano Rivera,Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Jimenze,Ricky Remero etc pithcing from back (like TV view) you can see that his front leg is always straight up
(if you can not see clearly always use slow motion frame to check)

I might add—don’t rush the delivery. Make sure you’re standing upright when you come to the set position, take one full second at least, and then deliver your pitch. After all—you don’t want to get called for a balk, now do you? :slight_smile:

i have make some photos so you can understand more clearly

the right side of those pitchers, like kazmir, nolasco, their gravity balance is not at front leg, that is why when they finish their back leg tend to drag foward and pull the body balance off

As i mention before , for the front leg why some pitchers tend to off their balance after followthrough, because their front leg is not straight up,

A small bend in the knees and a slight lean forward from the waist forces you to engage the muscles of the core. The core muscles are necessary to establish and maintain good posture which is necessary for consistency.

If you start in a different perhaps more upright position you will eventually engage your core and achieve your individual posture but this will likely be somewhere during leg lift or the beginning of your stride- in other words while you’re moving. Not only is this tough to do consistently, especially by those with weak core muscles and as you get fatigued, it also takes some extra time in the delivery. Why not establish good posture while you’re standing still and then just concentrate on moving toward home plate and delivering the ball.

that is why a lot of japanese pitchers do a lot of crazy running, and most of them stand quite still with low front leg … :slight_smile:

Watch Mariano Rivera. :slight_smile: