In-Season Workout Plan

how does this sound for just a basic make sure i get in the weightroom in season work out plan. Everyday, 2 exercises for each muscle maybe ill split it up into m-w-f and t-th but for now im gonna do like this 5 days a week

*2 sets of 10 bi-curls
*2 - - - - - - tri-pulldowns
*2 - - - - - - lat-pulldowns
*2- - - - - - - chest flys
*2- - - - - - - machine rows
*2- - - - - - - shrugs

*1 set of 10 with both legs at say 125 lbs on leg extensions and then drop the weight down to say 60 lbs and go 10 with each leg and then another 10 with both legs again at same low weight but no rest (those work good)
*same thing but with leg extensions
*2 sets of 10 calf raises
*2 sets of 10 leg press
*2 sets of 10 squat

if anything the 1st group would be m-w-f and the 2nd group would be t-th becuase we do a lot of running and some leg bodyweight exercises at practcie everyday anyway

Those exercises aren’t bad, but I see very minimal core work there. Squats will give you some core work, but that’s about it. Give me something with some abs and lower back in there! Don’t forget about your cuff work either.

yea we do abs and rotator cuff as a staff during daily practice forgot to mention that too, but overall you think that will be fine since were throwing off a mound now i dont wanna wear myself out in the weight room

Too much volume for inseason. You dont need to gain strength, just maintain it. I’d go with 2-4 exercises, maybe 3 times a week. The catch is that each exercise should be compound, and at least one should work on explosive type strength (power). That is honestly all you need to avoid the “detraining effect” that causes loss of strength.

I’d try to include the main lower body lifts - squats and deadlifts - as well as bent rows and pullups for the upper body. For explosiveness you could go with high pulls (powercleans if you are comfortable with the form), one arm snatches, jumping squats, etc.

Tudor Bompa’s guidelines:
minimum - 2 days a week, 3 exercises, 1-2 sets per exercise, weight = 70% of 1RM
max - 3 days a week, 4-5 exercises, 2 sets per exercise, 5-8 reps, weight = 70-80% of 1RM

[quote=“qcbaseball”]how does this sound for just a basic make sure i get in the weightroom in season work out plan. Everyday, 2 exercises for each muscle maybe ill split it up into m-w-f and t-th but for now im gonna do like this 5 days a week

*2 sets of 8 bi-curls
*2 - - - - - 8 tri-pulldowns
*2 - - - - - 8 lat-pulldowns
*2- - - - - - 8 chest press
*2- - - - - - 8 machine rows
*2- - - - - - 8 shrugs

*1 set of 8 with both legs at say 125 lbs on leg extensions and then drop the weight down to say 60 lbs and go 8 with each leg and then another 10 with both legs again at same low weight but no rest (those work good)
*same thing but with leg extensions
*2 sets of 8 calf raises
*2 sets of 8 leg press
*2 sets of 8 squat

if anything the 1st group would be m-w-f and the 2nd group would be t-th becuase we do a lot of running and some leg bodyweight exercises at practcie everyday anyway[/quote]

i did today i broke it up into the m-w-f and t-th and it felt like maybe a lil too much for inseason so i think im gonna break it down a lil bit to what i jus changed it to what do u think kc?

It’s still too much volume of unneccessary stuff. Bicep curls are a waste of time, same with all the other iso exercises. Working smart is better than just doing a bunch of machine exercises.

If I had to put together a couple example days, it might look something like this:

-Day 1- (all weights are 65-70% of 1RM)
Incline DB press 2x6
Bent Rows 2x6
Squats 2x5
Powercleans (or high pulls) 2x5

-Day 2-
Pushups 2x15
Pullups 2x7
Deadlifts 2x5
Jumping Squats 2x7

Obviously you can adjust exercises, but try to stay away from the machines.

kc, i kno your most likely right about everything your saying, but throughout my offseason training the only of those exercises i did was squats i think. i never ever did deadlifts or powercleans (next offseason i will) so i dont think its smart for me to incorporate exercises that could be dangerous if done wrong to my inseason workouts becuase ive neevr done them and could very possibly do them wrong… but thanks i appreciate what your saying

Exercise selection is secondary to the overall programming. Your example was 5 days of work, and even though it was 6 exercises for 2 sets a piece, that is taxing on the body when you are in-season.

You could do something like-
Squats 2x5
Chest Press 2x7
Lat Pulldowns 2x5
Leg Press 2x5 (you could even cut this one)
and even though it isnt ideal, it would prevent your body from detraining effects. The same rules still apply - 2-3 times a week for 20-30 minutes. You dont need to do more than that. Sports specific skills are far more important, and if you are working on pitching the last thing you need is fatigue from overtraining.

By the competitive phase you are done gaining strength and power. From that point you are just trying to make sure that you dont lose what you built up.