Importance of "hiding" the ball

alf my pitching coaches tell me to hide the ball from the batter, to brng it down and straight back behind my hip. However lincecum and others don’t hide the ball in the least.

So how important is hiding the ball?

I think it’s more important to have mechanics that allow you to deliver a quality pitch. If these mechanics mean that you don’t hide the ball then so be it. The ability to make a good pitch is more important than hiding the ball.

A pitch that is hidden well but is over the plate in a bad location vs a pitch that is not hidden at all and is spotted on the outside black… which is harder to hit? Obviously the pitch on the outside black.

Good Hip-shoulder seperation should allow you to hide the ball well.

not very
most batters dont have enought time too see the grip
if you have slow echanics u might be in some trouble

not necessarily
i say good arm action hides the ball

Just do this.

not very

not necessarily
i say good arm action hides the ball[/quote]

My definition of a good arm action doesnt do that good of a job hiding the ball. IMHO, only an arm action meant to hide the ball successfully hides the ball. If i were you i wouldnt worry about whether your hiding the ball or not. I would rather have a 97mph fastball that somebody sees coming rather than a 75mph fastball that they think they see coming.

at what level
high school yeah
any level above that no
if the batter knows whats coming wouldt it be easier to hit
even nolan ryan and joel zumaya got smacked

Listen, if that hitter is leaning towards that 75mph fastball then theres a good chance he can connect and drive it. a 97mph heater however theres a good chance you can blow it by them, even if they know its coming. Most hitters cant connect with a 97mph fastball up and in, but they can with a 75mph fastball. alot can keep it fair too.

“Hiding” the ball is a very subjective thing–that is one reason why there are MLB pitchers who throw 90 mph and dominate and guys who throw 98 mph and get hit. There is no set arm action or body movement that creates better deception. A lot of times it’s just a little extra funk (Dontrelle) that helps.

And hitters will not be able to pick up your pitches if you break your hands toward first base. The only way a hitter will pick up a pitch is if you do something different on an offspeed pitch than you would on a fastball.

you cant keep throwing that fastball
if you have other pitches…
you cant see the fastball grip so you dont know whats coming
if you can see the fastball grip or its tipped off it would be easier to hit

You can’t really see the grip on a ball from 60 feet away unless it’s something drastically different from other pitches… like if you swallowed the ball in your palm or something… from 60 feet you’re not gonna be able to tell the difference between a 4 seam fastball with a 2 seam fastball or with a curveball unless you’re superman.

[quote=“kjeezey”]Just do this.

[/quote]

lol.

• no people in the stands
• it was a ball anyways

[quote=“the_K_king#2”]alf my pitching coaches tell me to hide the ball from the batter, to brng it down and straight back behind my hip. However lincecum and others don’t hide the ball in the least.

So how important is hiding the ball?[/quote]

Very.

First, Lincecum’s deception is decent…

This is what above average deception looks like…

Notice how you don’t see the ball during Clemens’ entire arm swing.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“the_K_king#2”]alf my pitching coaches tell me to hide the ball from the batter, to brng it down and straight back behind my hip. However lincecum and others don’t hide the ball in the least.

So how important is hiding the ball?[/quote]

Very.

First, Lincecum’s deception is decent…

This is what above average deception looks like…

Notice how you don’t see the ball during Clemens’ entire arm swing.[/quote]

just curious, what if your arm action is like the pendulum swing (aka Oswalt, Verlander, Rivera). I swing my arm down, and and up, but not back behind the body like Oswalt. So i guess i might be more like Verlander. Does that hide the ball well? Also if your arm action is the same with every pitch, wouldn’t it be pretty hard to determine which pitch is which?

See, my point is that a good pitch is more efficient at getting batters out than is hiding the ball well.

Prime example in John Papelbon or Rivera. Both don’t hide the ball particularly but are still extremely effective in getting batters out because they make good pitches.

Once again, “hiding” the ball is subjective and there is no way of knowing how deceptive a guy is unless you hit against him. That’s why some hitters come back and say they just don’t pick up the ball well against certain guys. I don’t think looking at video of arm actions will tell you which guys have the most deception.

Papelbon’s 94-96 mph fastball clearly plays a lot faster–it’s very straight, but has great explosion at the end. I’m sure hitters come back saying he hides the ball well.

not very

not necessarily
i say good arm action hides the ball[/quote]

My definition of a good arm action doesnt do that good of a job hiding the ball. IMHO, only an arm action meant to hide the ball successfully hides the ball. If i were you i wouldnt worry about whether your hiding the ball or not. I would rather have a 97mph fastball that somebody sees coming rather than a 75mph fastball that they think they see coming.[/quote]

Everyone would LOVE to have a 97 MPH heater. But not everyone can have that so bad example sorry.

[quote=“OffSet”]See, my point is that a good pitch is more efficient at getting batters out than is hiding the ball well.

Prime example in John Papelbon or Rivera. Both don’t hide the ball particularly but are still extremely effective in getting batters out because they make good pitches.[/quote]

Once again I think it is hard to compare high school players to major leaguers. They are freaks, thats why they are in the majors. I think that if don’t throw hard and might be competing for a starting spot or even being a pitcher, if you have to try and hide the ball, or throw sidearm or learn certain pitchers. You gotta do what you gotta do. Ask Zita.

Also, from a hitters perspective it is a lot harder to hit someone who hides it will. Coach baker had a story about a side arm slinger that hid the ball well and I forgot how much MPH he estimated it added to his pitch, for the hitters perseption.

One of the first things Ed Lopat said to me: “Be sure you use a big enough glove so the other team can’t read your pitches. Some of your stuff has distinctive grips.” He also told me a lot about deception—a lot of what he did on the mound was just that, and he told me how to use it. And being a snake-jazzer, I certainly made good use of it. 8)