Importance of 2 sports for college

So I currently play basketball in addition to baseball as a sophomore. My goal is to play college ball and I’ve heard it really helps if you play two sports. My question is, how much does that help? I have recently become very annoyed with our basketball program as a whole for various reasons. (Being picked on constantly by varsity, poor coaching, just not enjoying it, etc.) If I don’t play basketball next year how much will it affect my chances of getting a college scholorship?

Depends on how good of a baseball athlete you are. The better at baseball you are, the less it matters.

I player soccer and baseball - fall and spring, which allowed me to train in the winter for the baseball season. Others play football/baseball, etc.

Basketball/baseball is tricky, in my opinion, because the hoops eats into baseball’s pre-season. Kyle’s advice is spot on…

Yeah, I played soccer/football and baseball. Sadly, in the PacNW, we lose a lot of baseball athletes to soccer since it’s in the spring here for boys. We also lose lacrosse players here though probably not as bad as it is in NE.

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]I player soccer and baseball - fall and spring, which allowed me to train in the winter for the baseball season. Others play football/baseball, etc.

Basketball/baseball is tricky, in my opinion, because the hoops eats into baseball’s pre-season. Kyle’s advice is spot on…[/quote]
I ran XC in the fall. Mind you baseball and XC sort of overlapped. Come the fall we only had saturday night games or sunday games, so they didn’t really effect one another, as practice was minimal for our fall league. I basically ran 8-10 miles monday-friday, had races on saturday (usually one during the week as well) and played games saturday nights and sunday mornings. It was perfect in my book because I cut body fat, gained leg strength, and could still play baseball :slight_smile:

If you want to focus seriously on baseball, you might want to cut out the excessive long-distance running. It has pretty negative effects when it comes to speed-strength in athletes.

But if you like it and like baseball, it’s all good. Just letting you know!

[quote=“kyleb”]If you want to focus seriously on baseball, you might want to cut out the excessive long-distance running. It has pretty negative effects when it comes to speed-strength in athletes.

But if you like it and like baseball, it’s all good. Just letting you know![/quote]
That was in high school, and while it is linked to some negative effects, you can quickly start to work on those fast twitch muscle fibers for the spring because of it. I had some really good endurance because of it as well.

I don’t run like that anymore. Every once in awhile I’ll go for a 10 mile run, but that is like a once a month thing.