Immense pain in elbow

I started having a lot of pain in my throwing elbow last tuesday, we started on monday… I went to the doc and he said it was epicolydis? or tennis elbow and recommended I get one of those straps so I did, and it hurt just as bad, I mean on a scale of 1-10 its a 7.5 after practice and a 8.5 during when im trying to throw, I cant throw hard at all anymore I normally throw 70, I now can barely throw 20 without it hurting. and it hurts after I finish the throw? what can i do please help seriously I need a lot of help. The doctor said he could shoot my arm full of steroids? umm im taking it he means cortisone shots would they help me? keep in mind im only 15.

I cant take any days off either cuz im fighting for a varsity spot this year.

Medial epicondylitis?

Medial epicondylitis is an injury - a strain or slight tear - to the muscle/tendon interface of the flexor muscles in the forearm. It is typically an overuse injury. Here’s a good
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/elbow/a/elbow3.htm][b]article on medial epicondylitis[/b

ya thats how you spell it im scared what can i do? ill go look at the link now, thanks, I heard HGH can help heal it?

Your doctor should have told you what you need to do. If your doctor only suggested some strap, then I’d suggest getting a 2nd opinion. I’m no doctor but that doesn’t sound right.

Seriously, this might hurt your chances of making the team but you need to keep the big picture in sight. What grade are you in? Will you still be in high school next year? do you have aspirations of playing college ball? Don’t sacrifice the future for one high school season.

HAving said that, talk to your coach and explain your situation. Maybe he’d be willing to take you on the team knowing that you’ll be available for only part of the season. That means he won’t have to worry about getting playing time for you for part of the season. It’s worth a chance. But if you’re going to get a 2nd opinion, do that first so you know what to tell your coach before you talk to him.

That’s a joke, right?

ill see, and im a 10th grader and yes I do wish to play baseball in college its my dreams to play in the pro’s. and no I was bein serious I heard that.

I had the pretty much the same exact thing 2 years ago as a 12 year-old.

A medial epicondylitis is commonly referred to as “little League elbow” and “tennis elbow”. For adolescents, it deals mainly with a fracture in the growth plate in the elbow. Research the injury.

I’m not going to go into detail, but I took roughly 8-10 months off of throwing, while going to a physical therapist for nearly 7 months. The rest from the throwing motion immensely helps in healing the injury.

Also, during any rehab/therapy you may pursue, try to measure your grip strength, and, more importantly, the angle that which your arm can extend to. For example, a regular arm should extend to 180 degrees, while (at least mine) was only extending to 173 degrees before rehab. Anyway, be aware that both grip strength and the angle to which your arm can extend to are very important progression measuring tools for this injury.

First, get a second opinion. The guy you are seeing now is not giving very accurate info.

Second, medial epicondylitis is not tennis elbow. That is on the lateral elbow. Medial is Little Leaguers or Golfers elbow.

Third, those straps/bands for tendonitis do not work. I will repeat that, those strape/bands for tendonitis do not work.

I will just assume that you have medial epicondylitis and nothing severe, such as an avulsion fracture, etc…

Ice, Rest, yes- rest. Sorry, but it will not get better with use. It will get worse. It’s an overuse injury so using it is a no-no. You can use it and play through pain like I did, but then you will be needing surgery to remove the scar tissue that has built up, if you’re lucky and nothing more serious happens. Light stretching will help also, you can stretch the wrist flexors using an outstretched arm on a wall with fingers pointed down towards the floor.

Do yourself a favor and look into these two types of therapy.

Graston and Kinesio taping.

http://www.grastontechnique.com/

http://www.kinesiotaping.com/default.asp?CustComKey=35549&CategoryKey=35551&pn=Page&DomName=kinesiotaping.com

is it worth injuring your arm to make the varsity as a sophomore and then break down for a year or more after risjing a serious injury. you need a really good sprts doc and physical therapist to oversee your rehab (you’re injured dude and officially on the dl [disabled list]). if you don’t rest and rehab coming back slow and deliberate, you are risking your career.

don’t pushit when you have pain. you’ll be sorry.

you can do this, be smart. start your training sooner next year and don’t try to catch up all at once right before the season.

[quote=“dusty delso”]is it worth injuring your arm to make the varsity as a sophomore and then break down for a year or more after risjing a serious injury. you need a really good sprts doc and physical therapist to oversee your rehab (you’re injured dude and officially on the dl [disabled list]). if you don’t rest and rehab coming back slow and deliberate, you are risking your career.

don’t ***** when you have pain. you’ll be sorry.

you can do this, be smart. start your training sooner next year and don’t try to catch up all at once right before the season.[/quote]

I didnt I had been doing my baseball workout for 4 months prior to the season and started throwing 1 month before the season and had no pain. I dont get it, well anyway it still hurts but not as bad. I told my pitching coach and he told me to just wrap, ice, and put icyhot patches on it… my new fastball is my old changeup he said, and he wants me throwing harder NOW… I cant though. im doing physical therapy as well, yesterday they showed me some stretches, did some ultrasound, and rubbed bengay on it.