I'm mad!

Is it not legal to run through first base? A terrible ump ejected a guy from the game and all he did was run through the base. There was an off target throw that caused the first baseman to come off the bag and my teammate just kept running straight and the first baseman was in his way and he ran right through him too. He is our best player and probably the best player in the league. We only had 9 players so that brought us down to 8 players and we only had two outfielders and so all these easy out fly pop-ups to the outfield were dropping and that is how they scored 5 runs. Also everytime that he normally got up it was an automatic out so that cost at probably least another 3 runs because of runners in scoring position and he is a great hitter. My mom taped the game and I watched that play 15 times and never saw any lower of the shoulder (as the ump said). Is there anything that can be done since we have it on tape? Probably not.

Also this ump said he was doing it for our protection but yet after that their pitcher threw at my at least 3 times and he only had 6 pitches against me. It may have been 4 pitches he threw at me because there was another one that was inside and came close to hitting me but unlike the other three they weren’t at my head. He threw at me 2-3 times in my first at bat and the next time I got up I told the ump to watch because he was going to throw at me and sure enough the first pitch hits me in the upper back. What did the ump do? Nothing. He didn’t even call time for
me or ask me if I was okay.

They ended up winning by one. They should’ve lost but I got to full count with this guy and gave him a fast ball right down the middle that he just watched go by and he walked. There was another one right down the middle earlier in the count that he called a ball. There were 2 outs and it was the last inning. The next guy came up and had this easy out pop-up but since we only had 2 outfielders it dropped and 2 runs scored.

We now have to win 7 games in a row in the next 4 days. We have three good pitchers that can easily beat every team except two (one of the two we can’t easily beat we beat 6-3 last week but we won’t have the fresh pitching we had then) so we could still get deep in the tournament. If we win 4 then we will get third. This sucks.

I don’t know what the contact rules are for your level of play, so I can’t give you a ruling about the play at first. Sounds like he should have been safe. If a pitcher was throwing at you intentionally he should have been ejected after a warning, but again I don’t know the rule that applies to your league. That said, I think you’re the one who is wrong.

I’ve coached at the HS varsity level. If you played for me and got angry over something like this I would bench you. If you stay angry you will effectively take yourself out of the game mentally, so why would a coach keep you in? And you’re still angry long after the game is over? Learning self control is one of the greatest attributes you can take away from your experience as a player. I appeal to you to learn a valuable lesson from this.

Life is not fair, and neither are ball games. It’s more important that you conduct yourself well. My teams heard me say time and again, ‘the best revenge is to live well.’ Umpires are human and make mistakes (sometimes intentionally), but they are the final word whether you like it or not. The bad calls generally even out over the course of a season. If the same call was made and went against the other team, would you feel satisfied with winning? If so you need to check yourself.

Let go of it and tell yourself, 'we’ll get ‘em next time.’ That’s the kind of drive and ethic that will cause others to respect you, including umpires, and that’s the way you become a leader. Let us know how it goes.

[quote=“Coach45”]I don’t know what the contact rules are for your level of play, so I can’t give you a ruling about the play at first. Sounds like he should have been safe. If a pitcher was throwing at you intentionally he should have been ejected after a warning, but again I don’t know the rule that applies to your league. That said, I think you’re the one who is wrong.

I’ve coached at the HS varsity level. If you played for me and got angry over something like this I would bench you. If you stay angry you will effectively take yourself out of the game mentally, so why would a coach keep you in? And you’re still angry long after the game is over? Learning self control is one of the greatest attributes you can take away from your experience as a player. I appeal to you to learn a valuable lesson from this.

Life is not fair, and neither are ball games. It’s more important that you conduct yourself well. My teams heard me say time and again, ‘the best revenge is to live well.’ Umpires are human and make mistakes (sometimes intentionally), but they are the final word whether you like it or not. The bad calls generally even out over the course of a season. If the same call was made and went against the other team, would you feel satisfied with winning? If so you need to check yourself.

Let go of it and tell yourself, 'we’ll get ‘em next time.’ That’s the kind of drive and ethic that will cause others to respect you, including umpires, and that’s the way you become a leader. Let us know how it goes.[/quote]

No, it isn’t like that. When I get made I get more velocity and sometimes concentrate more and throw better but really the moments passed and I’m still a little upset but it doesn’t do anything to effect my playing. Now about the rule, even the head of the league said it was wrong. We won 21-1 today. If we win tomorrow then we more than likely play that team again and more than likely I’ll be pitching again.

One of the greatest life lessons I ever learned was in baseball:

I was pitching in a collage game and the umpire repeatedly missed calling my drop curve for a strike.

Finally, I walked half way in and said “come on, the last three of those were strikes.” He came out behind the plate walked about 5 steps toward me and quietly said “pitcher you may believe that, but unfortunately for you, I called them balls, and in this case mine is the opinion that matters here. So if you want to remain in this game, I suggest you shut your mouth, and go back to the mound and pitch.” The umpire is the arbitrator of the game. His is the only opinion that counts.

You rarely if ever win arguements with the umpire. You may just irritate him enough that he leans toward the other team if you keep getting in his face. Frankly, Unless you are in late high school ball, your comments to the umpire should “be yes sir and no sir.” Questioning the ump is for the coaches.

On our team the rule (picked up from my collage coach-who said an ejected player does him absolutely no good) is: “if you get run, then you run” You can say what ever you need to say to the ump, but if he tosses you, the next practice you run -thats all practice. Better eat lite…Ian

We get another shot at that team and I’m supposed to pitch. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I pitched against that team again today. I had a no hitter through three innings and we were up 18-0 so the decided to save me for the next game. That next game I pitched 3 innings and allowed 3 runs against arguably the best hitting team in the league. We were done 8-6 going into the last inning and then we scored two runs to tie it at 8-8. We had a guy on third who got on with by getting hit by a pitch and a guy on second who had a blast to center. We had no outs. We had our 4th hitter up and they intentionally walked him to bring me up with the bases loaded and no outs with two slumping hitter who had been hitting horrible after me so even though there was no outs and bases loaded and a tie game there was still a lot of pressure. I fouled off the first pitch which I though I should have crushed. I pulled the game winner down the left field line on the next pitch. So we lost our first game and won but we won our next four and we are guaranteed at least 3rd. We play a team we could easily beat tomorrow for a spot in the finals. The only problem is we have used up most of our pitching. We have a good pitcher gonna pitch tomorrow but he can get wild and he will have to pitch the whole game with nobody to come in. Then in the finals we play an undefeated team and we will have absolutely no pitching. As far as the innings we are given for the tournament we do have innings but they gave as a ridiculously high amount of innings so everybodies arms are dead.

After reading this again, an old quote popped in to my head and I thought I’d share it with you.

oe McCarthy’s Ten Commandments for Success in Baseball

1. Nobody ever became a ballplayer by walking after a ball.
  2. You will never become a .300 hitter unless you take the bat off your shoulder.
  3. An outfielder who throws in back of a runner is locking the barn after the horse is stolen.
  4. Keep your head up and you may not have to keep it down.
  5. When you start to slide, slide. He who changes his mind may have to change a good leg for a bad one.
  6. Do not alibi on bad hops. Anybody can field the good ones.
  7. Always run them out. You never can tell.
  8. Do not quit.
    9. Do not fight too much with the umpires. You cannot expect them to be as perfect as you are.
  9. A pitcher who hasn’t control hasn’t anything.
    [/b]

yeah, I know it doesn’t do any good to get mad at an ump but it gets so frustrating. There were several “judgement” calls that I didn’t really like but what really ticks me off is when the umps don’t know the rules. Once their catcher caught a foul tip and our guy stole and they said our guy had to go back because it was a foul ball. Our coach told him (and so did the fans) but then he said it has to be on third strike. There were others like that too. Its just you would think that at a tournament that big we would get umps that know the rules.

We lost our first and then we won the next four and we are looking to make it five tonight. After that though, we are done because we used up all of our pitching. Even with fresh pitchers it would be hard to win the finals against this team that is undefeated but it would still be a great accomplishment to lose the first game and still get second.