Im Back

hey fellas, its been a while since I posted here, so I’d figure to post about what’s been going on with me.
First off I been playing summer ball for the washington manor ports, me and this other guy are the youngest at 16, there’s guys from College of San Mateo, to Patten College, to CSU monterrey…mostly college guys. We recently hosted a mini tournament and I believe laflippins son’s team was in the tournament, from redwood city, pretty cool.

Well, this month and all this time I have had no pain for my arm, im able to sucessfully relieve with no pain, or nothing…I feel I throw harder than I did before HS season. I long toss farther. I have developed a true circle change up, im trying to work on a true curveball this summer though.

I went to this Sunshine West Showcase this weekend in Chula Vista, Ca…I must say I don’t really like those showcases. I go and there’s no one I know or anything, I don’t have much fun playing, but I know its just business…I payed a lot of money for it. There was scouts no question. I was gunned at 81-84, I don’t know what I topped at yet, I felt I wasn’t even throwing my hardest, I had to throw soft just to get it across the plate. I was having trouble finding the strike zone bad, although I didn’t give up a hit in 3 innings.
I didn’t feel comfortable at all, maybe because it was my first big showcase or whatever, there’s no excuses. I felt a little “pressure to perform”. I’m not going to lie, I was a little disapoined how it went. Although our coach said I looked good. He gave his contact info he coaches for San Diego Show.
I’m planning on going to another one of these perfect game showcase, but next time I will hopefully be more prepared and at least sit high 80’s. I know I can do it, I know I throw harder than 84. Point Blank I’m gonna keep working hard this summer and bust my ass this summer season for the ports. and im not gonna let anyone else tell me otherwise, because that’s what my parents taught me. Straight Up. I f*ed up this showcase, I know I could have pitched better. On to the next on like Jay-Z said.

Anyways lol, I got a letter for UCSB, I made 1st team all league for HS, and Im having a blast playing with college guys, I can learn from

seriously though, what do you guys think?

Glad to see you back here. Sounds like things are going in a positive direction and you’ve got motivation to work hard and improve.

Hey JR! Nice to hear from you!

Was that the tourney over at San Leandro Ballpark you were talking about? That was fun ('til we got smoked 9-zip on Saturday and eliminated).

UCSB…good school, excellent program, great location.

Hey, who from CSM is on your summer ball team? I know a few of those guys because I spend a lot of time doing video work for their program. I happened to run into one of their superb young assistant coaches, Bryan Fauld, over in San Leandro at that tourney…is he associated with your club?

yeah it was over at the SL ballpark…
his name is doug I don’t know his last name I think he was a freshman this past year.
but yeah…with my situation right now its better for me to look for JUCO’s if I don’t get my velocity to upper 80’s - 90 area by my senior year…what u think laflippin?i know I can throw harder than 84 though

That’s probably Doug Caldwell, a CSM freshman RHP out of Serra HS.

JUCO programs in the SF Bay Area are no joke, and College of San Mateo is a terrific program.

Here’s a CSM-related story: Daniel Nava, the guy who hit a grand slam for Boston last Saturday against the Phillies in his very first major league AB (in fact, it was hit off the first pitch he’d ever seen in the bigs) was a 2005 graduate of College of San Mateo.

Nava first went to D1 Santa Clara and tried to walk on, but he was cut from the team…didn’t play at all during his freshman year. He then transferred to CSM, completed two outstanding years for them, and got a hefty scholarship to come back to Santa Clara where he lit the WCC on fire with his hitting. He still wasn’t taken in the MLB draft out of Santa Clara so he tried out for indie Chico Outlaws and didn’t make their club either. He kept working, tried out again, and was finally hired on by the Outlaws. After he set the indie Cal league on fire, the Boston Red Sox bought his contract for $1 (with a hefty $1,499 owed to the Outlaws if Nava proved good enough to make it at the Single-A level in the Red Sox organization.)

Well…he did make it, obviously…he tore up every level in the minors from Single-A to Triple-A and got his shot last Saturday to make some history at Fenway. Then he went out there and did it.

(The reason I know so much about this fellow’s story is, back in the day he played American Legion ball on the Redwood City Blues for the same coach my son is now playing for…so we kind of party’ed and talked about that for quite awhile at yesterday’s Legion game.)

Anyway, I can’t speak for anybody else but I’d say that what’s inside of you is way more important than the name of the school you go to.

[quote=“laflippin”]That’s probably Doug Caldwell, a CSM freshman RHP out of Serra HS.

JUCO programs in the SF Bay Area are no joke, and College of San Mateo is a terrific program.

Here’s a CSM-related story: Daniel Nava, the guy who hit a grand slam for Boston last Saturday against the Phillies in his very first major league AB (in fact, it was hit off the first pitch he’d ever seen in the bigs) was a 2005 graduate of College of San Mateo.

Nava first went to D1 Santa Clara and tried to walk on, but he was cut from the team…didn’t play at all during his freshman year. He then transferred to CSM, completed two outstanding years for them, and got a hefty scholarship to come back to Santa Clara where he lit the WCC on fire with his hitting. He still wasn’t taken in the MLB draft out of Santa Clara so he tried out for indie Chico Outlaws and didn’t make their club either. He kept working, tried out again, and was finally hired on by the Outlaws. After he set the indie Cal league on fire, the Boston Red Sox bought his contract for $1 (with a hefty $1,499 owed to the Outlaws if Nava proved good enough to make it at the Single-A level in the Red Sox organization.)

Well…he did make it, obviously…he tore up every level in the minors from Single-A to Triple-A and got his shot last Saturday to make some history at Fenway. Then he went out there and did it.

(The reason I know so much about this fellow’s story is, back in the day he played American Legion ball on the Redwood City Blues for the same coach my son is now playing for…so we kind of party’ed and talked about that for quite awhile at yesterday’s Legion game.)

Anyway, I can’t speak for anybody else but I’d say that what’s inside of you is way more important than the name of the school you go to. [/quote]’

amazing story.

Yes thats Dougie, he always wears serra stuff…

Well, Im not discouraged…I still believe I can do it.

just realize your fortunate to have the big bucks $$$ to attend these showcases. Make sure you thank whoever is paying for you to attend. I’ve seen many division 1 prospects that go over looked because of lack of $$ and therefore lack of exposure. The fact that the college baseball season is in season during high school ball makes it difficult for prospects to be seen the less expensive way. I would say about 75% of the kids you see in the college world series have done some type of showcase- whether it be perfect game, world wood bat, tpx top 96, blue gray ect…

the thought that well if i’m good enough - someone will find me, no longer exists. it is your job to get your name out there. That said, if you live in southern california for example or in a place where retired pros or longtime scouts reside and there is a strong network of coaches/scouts, my previous words don’t apply to you as much as if you live in vermont, new hampshire, or a place in which baseball is not as publicized.

One of the reasons baseball is struggling in inner cities is because of the high expense baseball has become today.

It is crazy how some kids have the luxury to play baseball at a lace like IMG academy, where $60,000 per year makes you “the best player you can be”. If someone really thinks spending $60,000 is necessary to realize their potential well, then thats their problem.

I was mad my brother convinced her to pay all that money…That money is now going into debt. Im even more mad I didnt perform to my full potential.
I swear I hate showcases

Navarro,

Hey, buddy…don’t get mad, get even. The summer ball league you’re playing in is also scouted and the more showcase opps you get, the less it matters if you struggle a little bit here or there.

One thing you can control at the showcases…whenever you struggle, keep your body language (and your spoken language) positive, focused, and business-like. It takes no talent at all to look like a ballplayer when things are going right, but coaches and scouts know that baseball is basically a game of failure and part of how they look at young guys is: How does this kid deal with failure…does he grind it out or does he get ground up by his fears and emotions.

You are going to enjoy lots of moments this summer where your abilities stand out from the rest, and those moments are going to look extra good because you are a 16 yo playing in a 19U league. Stay focused on what you need to do for the next game and try not to get too far ‘up’ from your past successes or too far ‘down’ from your past struggles.

THanks laflippin you’re a big help