Im a completely new pitcher, help!

Hi, im 13 years old, i jsut began pitching 2 days ago cuz i thot itd be fun, but when i read the types of pitches, a lot of them sed that like u need proper mechanics, proper way to throw the ball and stuff.

Also, i noticed that some articles used ‘fastball’ mechanics, so im assuming that each pitch (fastball, breaking balls, or changeups) has its own mechanics, windups, throwing tecniques, etc.
I thot that every pitch was thrown like how you throw a fastball, but i was wrong…

Can anyone offer me any advice for beginners?
Also, if anyone knows any beginners pitching sites that teaches you the basic mechanics and stuff, thatd be great.

Just started pitching ey? Always played baseball?

Height and Weight would help too.

[quote=“baltimore_orioles21”]Hi, im 13 years old, i jsut began pitching 2 days ago cuz i thot itd be fun, but when i read the types of pitches, a lot of them sed that like u need proper mechanics, proper way to throw the ball and stuff.

Also, i noticed that some articles used ‘fastball’ mechanics, so im assuming that each pitch (fastball, breaking balls, or changeups) has its own mechanics, windups, throwing tecniques, etc.
I thot that every pitch was thrown like how you throw a fastball, but i was wrong…

Can anyone offer me any advice for beginners?
Also, if anyone knows any beginners pitching sites that teaches you the basic mechanics and stuff, thatd be great.[/quote]the main advice i would give you at this age is to just throw a fastball and change up…you throw those the same arm slot and mechanics, just a different grip…as for mechanics, just focus on balance and getting a very strong motion that has a start to good mechanics…don’t mess with a curveball until your 15 or 16 because it can only cause problems, if you just started pitching, just work on getting used to it…

yea ive just started pitching cuz i thot itd be fun, the only pitches i know right now are the 2 and 4 seamers, im not sure if u throw splitters/curves/knuckeballs, etc. the same way youd throw a fastball

ive played baseball for 5 years now (almost 14 years old), im our double a teams center fielder and third baseman.
height and weight, im pretty tall, i weigh about 52-ish kg, and im about 168 cm tall.

waht whould u guys recommend for me to learn?

like, how many pitches should i try to master and use, and which ones would be more effective against hitters, etc.

itd help a lot if you guys also help ansewer my questions in the first post

The best thing you could do is to use a fasbtall and a change-up. That will be very effective at your age then later on you can learn a curve. As said they’re the same armslot and mechanics just different grips.

Speficially which question do you want answered from your first post?

I would agree with Bower and Mr. Lorenz. Learn a fastball and change-up for now. Master those two at your age, and things will work out. As for different mechanics for different pitches, I would have to disagree. When learning to throw other pitches, only slight changes must be made to the mechanics. Once you have your own wind-up and mechanics down, then start tweaking things from there. I work-out at Jason Thompson’s (a former All-Star first basemen with the Tigers and Pirates) and he always says that the hardest off-speed pitches to hit were the ones coming from the same slot as the fastball. I hope that helps, and good luck to you.

At your age and experience level-fastball both 2 and 4 seam varities only.

4 seamers up, and low outside. 2 seamers down and in and down and out. If you get command of the fastballs only then fiddle with change up at the end of the year.

Ian

:stuck_out_tongue: thx for the advice, ill practice throwing the fastball and changeups for now, but im not sure if my mechanics are right (like if i should throw the ball sidearm, three quarters, over-the head, and also stuff like how i should stride

when i pitch, all i do is bring my leg up, stride a bit, and throw my fastball as if i was a normal outfielder throwing the ball to a bag,
and im almost completely sure that what im doin is wrong…

if youre not able to teach me the mechanics step-by step cuz it takes too long, then are you able to tell me a few websites where they teach beginners how to pitch for their first time?

One option for you is to post a video on this website under the “Pitching Mechanics and Analysis” forum. There are several people there that can analyze your mechanics and give you suggestions. Hope that helps as well