Ideal Frame?

Just curious about what the ideal frame a D1 scout would be looking for, I’ve looked through a lot of websites but haven’t found anything specific. Thanks in advance.

Well the gold standard in my opinion is:

6’4 225lbs for a RHP

Or a frame that can fill out to 225 since most HS guys haven’t seriously been lifting long enough or been dedicated to lifting enough to hit that number.

But in all honesty the taller and leaner you are the better, you don’t want to be flabby you want to be muscular but not so huge that your strength isn’t functional to what you are trying to do.

It’s all about the age old “eye test”

But on the flip side if you’re 5’9" throwing gas and getting guys out they’ll take you in a heartbeat.

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]Well the gold standard in my opinion is:

6’4 225lbs for a RHP

Or a frame that can fill out to 225 since most HS guys haven’t seriously been lifting long enough or been dedicated to lifting enough to hit that number.

But in all honesty the taller and leaner you are the better, you don’t want to be flabby you want to be muscular but not so huge that your strength isn’t functional to what you are trying to do.

It’s all about the age old “eye test”

But on the flip side if you’re 5’9" throwing gas and getting guys out they’ll take you in a heartbeat.[/quote]
Damn 225, thanks for the feedback.

Like Wales said, 225 would be for the pitchers already consistently throwing 90+. The 6’3" 190 kid is just as valuable even with a few less mph. So really, you don’t need to get to a 225 before college, most colleges have faith that their lifting program will get you there.

You are 14 - you will gain weight.

If you are 17 and still weigh 150 - then worry about it.

Thanks guys, and yeah I should be a lot heavier though I just need to get motivated and start lifting a decent amount, not too heavy since it’s mid season though.

I’ve heard from more than one source that MLB likes 6’4" and up, tall and lanky.

So something like Daniel Bard?

Sorry but I’m not familiar with Daniel Bard. Regardless, take that with a grain of salt because not all pitchers fit that description and there are plenty of pitchers who don’t yet are still effective/successful.

Also, I realize now that the original question was about D1 scouts - not MLB so my reply is a bit out of context.

Bard was a 100mph Red Sox reliever that made the starting rotation this season.

[quote=“Roger”]Sorry but I’m not familiar with Daniel Bard. Regardless, take that with a grain of salt because not all pitchers fit that description and there are plenty of pitchers who don’t yet are still effective/successful.

Also, I realize now that the original question was about D1 scouts - not MLB so my reply is a bit out of context.[/quote]
Don’t worry about it, it’ll still give me a general frame. And yeah, Daniel Bard is 6-4 200 pounds and throws a 100mph fastball and a nasty slider.

I agree that there might be an ideal “frame” but look around MLB baseball. Is CC “ideal?” is Lincecum “ideal?” what about Moyer? or any other guy who doesn’t throw 90?

Being close with coaches and staying in the game I can tell you this, they look at your personality more than physical tools. I can teach you a good CB, FB, change mechanics etc and I don’t need a bunch of guys throwing 97 although it would be nice.

They first and foremost look at
Do they listen and take direction or do they think their right?

Is their shirt tail tucked in? hat on backward? cleats untied? or does he look sloppy when he plays? If you take pride in your uni you’ll take pride in your game.

Do you get along with teammates? I don’t care if you throw 105 if your a cancer to your team then your not going anywhere.

Do you hustle 100% all the time, you want to work on your craft or are you lazy and happy with where you are at.

I think these things are far more important that “perfect height and weight” Some guys develop late and some guys are 225 in HS and never will get bigger or better. Bigger doesn’t mean better, show me a guy who is “typical” in MLB and I will show you 2 who aren’t.

I can teach you to lift, run and mechanics, and put you on a diet to get you to where you want too be but you should have the work ethic to want to be the best and get to the next level already instilled, and that I think is 1000% more important then physical tools.

Hope this helps
Ryan

[quote=“RTusk40”]I agree that there might be an ideal “frame” but look around MLB baseball. Is CC “ideal?” is Lincecum “ideal?” what about Moyer? or any other guy who doesn’t throw 90?

Being close with coaches and staying in the game I can tell you this, they look at your personality more than physical tools. I can teach you a good CB, FB, change mechanics etc and I don’t need a bunch of guys throwing 97 although it would be nice.

Is their shirt tail tucked in? hat on backward? cleats untied? or does he look sloppy when he plays? If you take pride in your uni you’ll take pride in your game.

Do you get along with teammates? I don’t care if you throw 105 if your a cancer to your team then your not going anywhere.

Do you hustle 100% all the time, you want to work on your craft or are you lazy and happy with where you are at.

I think these things are far more important that “perfect height and weight” Some guys develop late and some guys are 225 in HS and never will get bigger or better. Bigger doesn’t mean better, show me a guy who is “typical” in MLB and I will show you 2 who aren’t.

I can teach you to lift, run and mechanics, and put you on a diet to get you to where you want too be but you should have the work ethic to want to be the best and get to the next level already instilled, and that I think is 1000% more important then physical tools.

Hope this helps
Ryan[/quote]
It did help, and I also completely understand where your coming from. Thank you.

[quote=“RTusk40”]I agree that there might be an ideal “frame” but look around MLB baseball. Is CC “ideal?” is Lincecum “ideal?” what about Moyer? or any other guy who doesn’t throw 90?

Hope this helps
Ryan[/quote]

I agree that the mental stuff matters, but you need the physical tools first and foremost. The mental stuff can separate the fringe-average and the above average, but you do need the physical tools to get to any certain level. The mental stuff is what separates you once you’re at a certain level.

It’s true that you don’t need an ideal frame, velo, etc, but it always helps. You should always try to improve in those facets if possible, as those give you the opportunities. Just realize the mental stuff can elevate your game and that size and velocity aren’t everything.