Ideal body fat % for baseball players / pitchers

[quote=“kyleb”]Oh, I believe that they want that. I don’t doubt you. I also know that it is a ridiculous standard to hold people to.

As a fun experiment: If you think bodyfat only exists to make you slow, what do you think the average NFL linebacker’s BF is? I guarantee it’s above 10%.[/quote]I agree that some body fat is necessary. There’s many different kinds of athletes. But I bet there are some NFL linebackers that body fat is below 10%, however, many of them are above 10% for sure.

[quote=“kyleb”]Oh, I believe that they want that. I don’t doubt you. I also know that it is a ridiculous standard to hold people to.

As a fun experiment: If you think bodyfat only exists to make you slow, what do you think the average NFL linebacker’s BF is? I guarantee it’s above 10%.[/quote]
I am not saying that it makes you slow as in just bogged down. It makes you slower. Let take for example two men, 6’ tall, 210 lbs. Man 1 has 8% body fat, and man 2 has 12% body fat. Man 1 thus has 16.8 lbs of fat and 193.2 lbs of muscle, whereas man 2 has 25.2 lbs of fat and 184.8 lbs of muscle. Which man will be more athletic? Man 1 will usually be more athletic.

And Steven, you are right. Going for a skinny body type to an athletic body type are two very different things. Distance runners usually are a lot smaller than football players because of different requirements on the body to be successful, but nonetheless, at 225 lbs and 12% fat, you still were very athletic.

So the question is what is truly the best body fat percentage for a baseball player? I would say between 8-15% is a great place to be. I don’t know of many people who would be below that, but if you are above, you need to work harder to get healthy.

ditto! :clap: