Icy Hot, Bio-Freeze, Ben-Gay

If you’ve grown up in baseball dugouts like me, you’ve likely shared the bench with tubes of IcyHot, Bio-Freeze and Ben-Gay a time or two. Most pitchers apply the solutions, which smell like mouth wash, to their throwing arms for “pain relief,” “pain prevention,” and getting the feeling of a loose arm.

Do you use these solutions? Does they work for you?

I used one called Deep Cold once. It worked pretty well, but the heat didn’t last very long.

I normally use a cold rub on or regular ice packs along with a hot shower.

Heat and Ice is one of those things that every persons different and what works for some may not work for others. Both have similar benefits and both have different benefits it all pertains to how well your body reacts to a certain treatment

well i perfer to use the icyhot patch after my games and and i perfer to use bengay or something that will warm up the arm so it will get loose quicker.

Ben Gay, baby!! When I was in Babe Ruth (13-15 year old) I’d darn near go through a tube of that stuff every game. Unfortunately, it was because my arm around the elbow joint, absolutely killed me every time I threw! I’d slap on some Ben Gay and wrap a towel around my arm tightly. They didn’t have Icy Hot or similar products back then, but my wife recently used the Icy Hot patch and she liked it.

Gee, just by typing this post I can still smell the god-awful medicinal-smelling Ben Gay odor wafting in my nostrils! Ah, the good ol’ days :smiley:

LOL … I can smell it the Ben Gay like it was only yesterday . Never used it on the field , but at night after a game … and after a hot shower (Barry Weinburg of the Cardinals once assured me this was a good thing , to open up the pores) , I’d lather up and go to bed with a long sleeve shirt on and “sweat out the pain” . Of course I’d go thru 4-5 shirts a night and wake up soaking wet , and while it was probably all mental it sure seemed to make me feel better !

No formula works the same for everyone.
Make sure noone uses a product to disguise an injury for the sake of playing. OK to use heat for muscle soreness prior to throwing. Use cold products for recovery.
Don’t throw after cold products, at least until the cold has has completely left the area.

Davis Powers
SC

I never use anything after throwing. I just let it heal for itself.

I try to run a little or walk a little to let the lactic acid flow. Also I do some stretch.

I only use ice if my arm is really hurt, but I try not letting it get to this point.

For me the best is just let it heal normally. If I’m not mistaken ice keeps the lactic acid on your arm, and this slows the healing time.

High school and college pitchers in the Midwest face a uniqe challenge. Lets face it, baseball weather does not begin around here until the season is about to end. We practice all winter long in 70 degree facilities and next thing you know the season starts, its 30 to 50 degrees, windy, rainy or snowy and the results are often times sub-par pitching performances and/or sore arms that last late into the season. I firmly believe in pre game heating products in this situation to offset this abrupt change in Pitching “climate”. These conditions also cause rapid stiffness between innings, especially in a long inning. Glob on the heat and keep your Pitching arm wraped in a cushy towell before the game and between innings untill at least the middle of May if you want to pitch in the midwest.