icing your arm

Hello everyone

i have a simple question and it is: is it good to ice your arm after you pitch? Ive heard from some people that you shouldnt ice because it slows down heeling and blood flow but from others including my coaches who say you should ice. I also see many college players icing after they pitch including Andrew Miller and also Madison Bumgarner ices as well.

The reason theses people Ice is because they think it works. ICe stops blood flow which a pitcher doesn’t want. A pitchers wants blood flow and new blood circulating through the body to get ride of waste product.

Ice is for injury’s when you pitch you tear down muscle just like lifting but you don’t see weight lifters using ice do you?

Pitching is micro tears that heal with good blood flow and nutriation not mears of the whole muscle or ligiment that need ice to get the injury down.

They think it works but it doesn’t. Also what did they do way back when they had no problems.

i always ice after i pitch i dont know why but i do and it makes my arm feel better

Yes for the short run because it hits the nerves and shuts the singnal off but in the whole recover process it doesn’t. It tricks pitchers into thinking it works because yes it gets pain away but doesn’t make you heal quicker like you might think it does.

And again
a 15 year old thinks he proves medical science wrong.

Ice can stop inflamation in your arm, from what I understand

[quote=“3and0”]And again
a 15 year old thinks he proves medical science wrong.

Ice can stop inflamation in your arm, from what I understand[/quote]Ice can reduce existing inflammation but the science out there (that I know of) doesn’t support it actually avoiding inflammation.

I never said im a sceintist but if you look if you want to get ride of the inflamation take some medicine that will do that. Stopping blood flow is bad to do because you want blood flow.

Ice does stop inflammation but it’s not any good if you stop blood flow all ice does is hit the nerve and make it feel good for a little while but in the long run of a couple of day’s it doesn’t work and slows down the healling.

Why do we Run then? Increase blood flow to heal quicker. Then why do we Ice? Because we think it works even though it slows down the healling.

Ice is for injury’s when you pitch you tear down muscle just like lifting but you don’t see weight lifters using ice do you? No they don’t because the body will heal it’s self and get ride of the waste product ice is counter productive.

Do what ever you please.

But since I stopped doing Ice and more tubing after game and running my arm has been better and heals quicker. And before it was very slow recover with ice and I thought it worked.

You should use more comas and periods. :?

He should stop thinking he is right all the time.
I’m preetty sure we run to get rid of the lactic acid. And when you ice after you pitch, you slow down the blood flow, but it speeds back up again after. It seems to be you think it permanetly slows down.
Ice slows down the amount of inflamation that will build up too.

I’m not sure how speeding up the blood flow to your arm will help stop the bruising of tendons among other things. :?

Well yes inflamtion after you pitch but you can take medicine after and before the game you will be fine. My view is the same as Tim Lincecum and other MLB players.

Do weight lifter’s use ice, they tear down muscle and fibers and they don’t do it.

Ice is good if there is swelling… but if theres swelling you most likely have issues that need more attention then just getting cold.