Icing your arm and running after you pitch

mike griffin will disagree with me and this but i think that icing your arm and running after games will help your arm rest and strenthen better, what do you guys think?

Icing is highly debated these days. Some folks say that pitching causes micro-tears in the muscle tissue and that icing helps reduce the swelling due to this trauma. Others claim that icing does nothing. Still others claim that icing reduces blood flow to the arm thus preventing it from recovering as fast.

I’m not sure how debatable running is but I know it’s done. Its purpose is to increase blood flow thus bringing more oxygen and other nutrients to the arm to help it recover faster.

I don’t know if either of these are true but they seem believable and I have chosen to accept that they are true. I have my pitchers do both ice and light aerobic work (something like light jogging or exercise bike - things that don’t involve the arms much).

running works. I don’t know about icing.

I just got back from a lecture by Tom House. Someone asked about icing and he replied that whether or not you ice is up to you. If you feel it does some good, then do it. If you don’t feel you need it, don’t do it.

But if you do it, he said to follow these strict guidelines:

• No more than 10 minutes on the elbow and 20 minutes on the shoulder
  • You must do 2 minutes of aerobic work for every 1 minute of icing
  • You should never do ice without doing aerobic work.

nice to know

Roger, do it in conjunction with, or wait until the ice is off, if off how long after? The strict guidelines are confusing.
Is there a why…you shouldn’t do one without the other?
After seeing all of those MLB guys all these years with ice you wonder.
We attempted to ice for the sake of it this year, mine son threw 7 complete games and we had concerns about wear on the equipment, so we went to icing his shoulder post game. He didn’t like it, he said his arm felt fine and he thought it was a waste of time…and everyone thought he was hurt and kept coming up and asking him what was wrong…this ticked him off. So we kind of regrouped and went away from the ice. He finished the year exceptionally strong (As a varsity reliever he k’d 3 of 4 he faced from the #3 team in Fla.) and is now tearing into summer ball with a vengence…looking to be the #1 varsity guy as a sophmore going Jr.

i personally belive that ice is THE best thing to help repair your arm…running helps and all, but ive been icing my arm the last week and it feels better than ever.

Well you got plenty of it in North Dakota lad.
Keep that arm healthy Tanner and good luck.

I guess it just depends on the person. I don’t feel icing my arm does a whole lot, but running helps me a ton.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Roger, do it in conjunction with, or wait until the ice is off, if off how long after? The strict guidelines are confusing.
Is there a why…you shouldn’t do one without the other?[/quote]
Tom House didn’t comment on this specifically (or I missed it) but I’d say do the aerobic work after icing - not at the same time because icing while doing the aerobic work will defeat the purpose of the aerobic work. Icing slows or reduces swelling by slowing down the blood flow. The purpose of the aerobic work is to increase the blood flow that brings oxygen and other nutrients to the arm and helps it recover. Tom gave the impression that increasing the blood flow is more important than reducing any swelling. So, if you only do one thing it should be the aerobic work.

Tom did say that you have a 3 hour window after your activity to do your icing. I don’t recall if that applies to aerobic work as well but I’d tend to doubt it. Also, I think that doing the aerobic work right after icing is probably ok but it might be more effective to let the iced areas warm up first to ensure maximum blood flow through those areas.

For what it’s worth, the pitchers at my older son’s high school do some jogging after every game in which they pitch. The amount of jogging depends on the number of innings they pitch. They also do more jogging the next day at practice.

I know if i dont run after pitching my arm gets sore after throwing light toss and if I run i can pitch in back to back nights

Im all about the aerobic work after pitching. It seems to help me. But even if it doesn’t, what’s it gonna hurt? It’ll at least help your endurance. I don’t know about icing though, I only do it if im sore and it seems to help, but if im not sore it doesn’t seem to do me any good. There are some guys on my team that swear by icing and say they can’t go without it. Perhaps people can develop kind of a phycological dependancy on it, but I don’t know.

I ice if I have soreness… sometimes after pitching I don’t feel sore, so I don’t ice… The only reason I ever ice is to take the pain away.

i think icing helps a lot it makes the arm not as sore the next day