Ibuprofen

Is ibruprofen good to take if you have the “normal” arm pain after you get from throwing a lot.

Along with icing your arm, etc.

First, it depends on your age. I started taking advil in college in moderation. After a few shoulder operations I moved on to some stronger pain killers which you would need to be very careful of.

Unfortunately, I needed the pain killers to get though an outing as my arm deteriorated. Just try not to become dependent on anything.

For teenage pitchers, I recommend icing consistently, and light weight training between starts to help with a quicker recovery.

I’ll put it this way, number 1 pitcher for the Middleburg Broncos…throws smoke, missed 3/4 of his senior year with abdominal surgery from treating his sore arm too much with Advil…ate his gut up. He was at the point where he took it before and after games.

[quote=“dbacks23”]First, it depends on your age. I started taking advil in college in moderation. After a few shoulder operations I moved on to some stronger pain killers which you would need to be very careful of.

Unfortunately, I needed the pain killers to get though an outing as my arm deteriorated. Just try not to become dependent on anything.

For teenage pitchers, I recommend icing consistently, and light weight training between starts to help with a quicker recovery.[/quote]

Why do you recommend icing and light weight training?

As I said, the light weights and icing would always speed up the recovery process between starts for me, reducing the inflammation in the joints and the light lifting increased the blood flow to the muscles.

I’m not a doctor but a couple decades of pitching gave me a good understanding on how my body reacted to different techniques.

some of the latest medical journal articles conclude that icing is over-rated and doesn’t do much of anything but make you uncomfortable.

the dumbell workout, aerobic work and electrode therapy looks like it is the wave of the future. but as conservative as baseball is, it will make it to pro ball in about 2020.

If ice is over rated, then how come I’ve seen some big name pitchers in post-game interviews with those big ice wraps on their arms??
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just to name a few that I’ve seen with ice on their arms…
1.Johan Santana
2.Randy Johnson
3.Jake Peavy
4.Mariano Rivera

Some pretty good pitchers in my opinion

[quote=“Too_Mutch13”]If ice is over rated, then how come I’ve seen some big name pitchers in post-game interviews with those big ice wraps on their arms??
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

1.Johan Santana
2.Randy Johnson
3.Jake Peavy
4.Mariano Rivera

Some pretty good pitchers in my opinion[/quote]

What does the skill level have to do with it?

[quote=“joba62”][quote=“Too_Mutch13”]If ice is over rated, then how come I’ve seen some big name pitchers in post-game interviews with those big ice wraps on their arms??

1.Johan Santana
2.Randy Johnson
3.Jake Peavy
4.Mariano Rivera

What does the skill level have to do with it?[/quote]

Maybe they do it because they are constantly in pain and are paid millions of bajillions of dollars and if they don’t pitch they will get released and not get paid.

[quote=“joba62”][quote=“Too_Mutch13”]If ice is over rated, then how come I’ve seen some big name pitchers in post-game interviews with those big ice wraps on their arms??

1.Johan Santana
2.Randy Johnson
3.Jake Peavy
4.Mariano Rivera

What does the skill level have to do with it?[/quote]

The skill level has everything to do with it. TooMuch was responding to the post saying that ice is over-rated. His point was that these professional athletes, some of which have their own personal or team trainer that are some of the best and they’re icing their arm. If these pro trainers are either telling or letting pro pitchers ice their arm it must be good to do. Now if there is truth to that I don’t know but if pro’s are doing it was the point.

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have read here. Perhaps we could see some of these “latest medical journals articles?” There have been literally 100s of studies done on ice therapy/cryotherapy and its benefits.

I don’t think you can post something this bold and not give at least several refs. on it.

As Tim Lincecum’s father says " Ice is only good for when your hurt and for your drinks"