I tried a weighted ball for the first time today

it was the first day of practice after a long winter break…I really didn’t throw or hit much because I wanted my arm to breath for a while…needless to say I didn’t even try to throw hard but that ball really made a real baseball seem like a feather…I was just lobbing the ball and it had that effect

I don’t think i’ll use it normally but I think I might continue with that at the start of practice.

It’s very odd throwing a reg baseball and it feeling weightless. That only lasted for about 10 minutes tho

yes, you can get the same kind of effect throwing a softball or a basketball for a couple minutes. seems like your control gets better and then your confidence grows up too.

so the question is, are you really throwing as hard as you feel like you’re throwing after switching from a weaighted or softball to a baseball?

I doubt it. It’s just a feeling that’s induced from the heavy-ball comparson.

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]so the question is, are you really throwing as hard as you feel like you’re throwing after switching from a weaighted or softball to a baseball?

I doubt it. It’s just a feeling that’s induced from the heavy-ball comparson.[/quote]

temporarily you definetly are, but like I said after 10-15 minutes the ball felt normal again.

andrew,
My son worked with a weighted ball for 9 weeks for a school science project. We found an immediate actual increase in velocity and then very slow improvement but more than one would expect from just throwing after that.

My conjecture is that the immediate increase comes from simply learning to put more effort into the throwing and that any “real” increase takes a long time as it requires the body to adapt to the loads.

so that would work like NOS in a car.

interesting. so the increase comes from “learning to put more effort” into throwing… not necessarily from the strength built up from throwing a heavier object.

sounds like a legitimate theory to me. I’ve always shunned weighted balls b/c I thought they were intended to be strength building, and that just seems like the kind of approach that is an injury waiting to happen.

I agree with just tossing the weighted ball, just not throwing your fastball with them. I use a football, since all my friends are scared to throw a baseball with me :confused: lol but I use the football and throw from about 35-40 yards that puts a nice burning sensation after awhile. heh, but keep it up. using the football brought me up from mid 60’s to mid 70’s. Our Varsity pitcher throws in the 80’s and I promised him I would make him sit the bench next year hehe were pretty good buddies so im gonna try my best to get into the 80’s :smiley: his control isnt as good as mine :smiley:

I’ve never really gotten this idea, who just thinks it’s okay to throw something 3oz but anything heavier is detrimental. Is playing dodgeball or football more harmful because you throw something heavier then a baseball?

In weightlifting you continually go up high and higher in weight, but that’s not an injury waiting to happen.

I’ve never really understood the logic by people thinking throwing something heavier then a baseball is bad for you. A softball is heavier but I don’t hear of Jennie Finch types needing tommy john…i know she throws underhand but fielders don’t.

I can understand how it will screw up your mechanics if your used to a baseball and then you start throwing a 10oz ball as hard as you can right away and throw hooks and everything else. I can see that. But just going through the motions and throwing the ball I don’t see why there are two sides to that argument.

Taylor … it could just be my own paranoia … on my basketball team I refuse to throw any fullcourt ‘baseball’ passes.

[quote=“Taylor”]I’ve never really gotten this idea, who just thinks it’s okay to throw something 3oz but anything heavier is detrimental. Is playing dodgeball or football more harmful because you throw something heavier then a baseball?

I can understand how it will screw up your mechanics if your used to a baseball and then you start throwing a 10oz ball as hard as you can right away and throw hooks and everything else. I can see that. But just going through the motions and throwing the ball I don’t see why there are two sides to that argument.[/quote]

The concern for me is that throwing a weighted ball without proper mechanics and oversight can cause injury to the small muscles of the shoulder, minor or major. The upside is that the larger muscles of the body that drive the ball are also developed to a lesser extent, and with tubing and other back shaping and core work you can strengthen those muscles to the point where you can throw your hardest for a longer period of time and more consistently. BTW, I agree that the weighted balls teach you to throw with greater effort.

Weighted balls in and of themselves can be detrimental if not used in a program designed to develop the body as a whole. BUT…if used in such a program, I believe that the gains can be incredible.

Another observation: Some kids think they’re giving it 100% when in fact their experience in giving 100% is pretty limited. They have no frame of reference. For those kids, the weighted balls can be especially effective in providing them with a drill that pushes them beyond their comfort zone.

Interesting point.