I think alot of people have this problem

why is it that i throw a good 4-6 mph on flat ground than i dont on the mound.

but, i know that the mound using it correctly should gain you mph.

i sit around 73-75 (incoming 10th grader) but my accuracy is insane, i can put the ball anywhere i want it.

though im a ground ball pitcher, and i know to be sucessful you dont need a 95 mph arm to get draft (for instance look at greg maddux), i would like to get faster (my goal is 87-88 by the end of my senior summer with good control) becuase its common sense that the faster the ball the less time to react. a 75 mph outside fastball, hitters have more time to realize that its a srtike on the outside rather than a 80 mph outside fastball. see my point?

So, what problem do you have? I see that you wrote you have less velocity on the mound. Is that the problem you were talking about?

You don’t need to explain to us why velocity is generally a good thing.

I think what your trying to say is you throw slower on the mound than you do on flat ground. If this is true I suggest you look at a video of yourself on the mound and on flat ground. See if your mechanics are different. Going on the mound might change your timing because you stride a little longer when pitching from a hill.

also just practce on a mound

well, yeah, i tend to talk on about irrelavent subjects, sorry bout that.

im just trying to figure out my kinks becuase i got a world series im goin to in about 5-6 days, and our second game is againest the east cobb astros, and theres a good chance i might be pitching. and im assuming most of you know how good east cobb astros are, they usually sit around the top 10 teams in the national.

and yes, i was trying to say i lose speed when i get on the mound, i think ill take that guys advise and starting practicing on the mound more often

A pitcher’s mound is just as much an equipment issue as say… your glove, spikes, uniform and so on. And like those just mentioned, it has to fit you… and you have to fit it. A detail that’s commonly overlooked by a lot of up and coming pitchers.

If that wasn’t enough, the pitcher mounds on most fields in non-pro ball aren’t worth squat. Which as your finding out… only complicates the process.

Here’s a exercise that will acquaint you to the proper slope and angles of a pitcher’s mound. This excercis will also help you avoid some bad habbits in your progression by getting you accustomed to a mouind slowly…

So, find a gentle incline … any incline. Start off with getting accustomed to the foward motion that you’ll feel while striding forward. Also, other issues are important … too numerous to mention here … but if you go very slow and easy with practicing a body routine (mechanics) that fits you best… you’ll be off to a great start. So, when you feel comfrotable with your work off of a gentle incline, pick another incline that has a greater angle to it. And continue. A good place to look for these inclines are in fields, parks, and hillsides.

As far as velocity goes, I wouldn’t be all that focused on speed at this point. Your sense of balance, rhythm and timing has to lead the way. Again, this equipment has to fit you and you have to fit it. And you’ll have to re-fit on EVERY single mound you pitch off during your playing career.

In addition, you’re experiecing a phase that WE ALL GO THROUGH, regardless of age and level of talent.

Coach B.