I really hate pitching coaches

they all say the same thing, same drills… especially the one where u swing your arm down and up where ur almost dislocationg your shoulder before you throw it

just went to another pitching coach and all he had for me was that showing the ball behind my back is bad and i have a floppy wrist

so now in the attempt to correct these things im throwing over the top from almost side arm, losing velocity and lost my breaking ball, it used to be my K pitch now its slow and loopy like a childs fastball

:evil:

Okay, OffSet. Here I am. And I’m going to tell you a few things. First of all, for every pitching coach who knows what he’s doing there are a hundred of them who don’t know their elbows from third base. Let’s forget about those hundred.
You would have loved Ed Lopat. He was my pitching coach for almost four years, and he was incredible. All that time in the minors, before he came up to the Chicago White Sox, he had been making a comprehensive study of pitching and pitchers, and he had been formulating his theories—things that he knew would work. First and foremost, he firmly believed that every pitcher has a natural motion, and what he would do—he’d show that pitcher how to make the most of it. He would not mess around and change a pitcher’s motion just because something was out of whack. He’d go after the problem, whatever it was, and come up with a sensible solution. Let me give you a small sample.
I had picked up the crossfire—that’s a move that works only with the sidearm delivery—and at one of our “curbstone consultations” as I referred to them, I mentioned this. He suddenly stopped me and said quietly, “Let’s see what you’re doing with it. Just go through the move.” I did, and immediately—he had this eerie way of spotting something that wasn’t quite right—he called my attention to the fact that I wasn’t getting quite the momentum going into it from the stretch the way I was doing from the full windup. I was flabbergasted, to say the least, and after expressing this I had to confess that I didn’t have much occasion to work from the stretch—not as a starter anyway. He looked at me and said, softly and emphatically with a hypnotic undertone that always grabbed me and held me where I was, “You’re getting the batters out.” And then he came up with an idea—a drill I could use to get up to speed from the stretch—which simply involved shortening my stride and taking a couple of extra steps toward third base (I’m righthanded, always have been)—and told me to work with that for a while. I did, and in short order I was able to get the speed I wanted.
He also showed me how to throw with a short-arm motion to go with my long-arm one—I was a natural sidearmer, and he worked with me to help me take full advantage of this delivery. He taught me a few interesting pitches to add to my arsenal of snake-jazz, and when I mentioned a problem I was having with holding runners on base he spent a whole morning with me on just that—holding runners on and pickoff moves. And at one point when we were talking about repertoire he asked me if I threw the screwball. When I replied that I did not, even though I knew how, he said "Good for you. You don’t need it."
If only there were more like Ed Lopat around—I’m willing to bet that someone like him would give you the advice and assistance you’re looking for. Now let me give you a piece of advice: get rid of these coaches that are giving you nothing but trouble, and do some experimenting on your own and see if you can get back into the groove you used to know. And if you need any more advice, I’m no farther away than this good old Toshiba computer. :slight_smile: 8)

The baseball world - especially pitching - is chock full of coaches who coach based on their own belief systems which are driven largely by conventional wisdom. In Tom House’s book, The Art and Science of Pitching, he identifies a bunch of “myths” that coaches teach. In fact, House will soon be releasing a new book which is devoted entirely to all of these conventional wisdoms and why they are bogus. These conventional wisdoms usually have no basis in science. Some can be harmful. Others cause no harm but they offer no benefit either.

As a coach working with a new pitcher for the first time, I have to let the pitcher teach me before I can teach him. What that means is I need to learn about the pitcher - his mechanics, his style, his strength and flexibility, etc. - before I can provide meaningful instruction to him. This is why, when offering private pitching lessons, I will I give the first lesson free.
You need to find a coach who will look at you and work with your strengths and correct your weaknesses - not just try to fit you into a mold based on conventional wisdom.

Offset, we all hate being ripped off. When dealing in a situation such as this, particularly under the circumstance where you are looking for assistance to help you acheive your dreams…it is so important to take the time, do the research. If a coach can’t provide verifyable references just walk away…before he walks with your cash and hopes. There are GREAT pitching coaches out there…and plenty of Con Artists…who may have had some modicum of success at some level and hope to translate that into a nice income. They can impress you with who they know, but who they know won’t put you into the spot you want to be, see if you can observe a session or 2…if that can’t happen…well then it’s fairly obvious that he doesn’t need you as a student.
Every discapline has em…martial arts has a whole bunch of guys like that dude in Napolean Dynamite…do like he says and …“Ferget about it” :wink: