I never pitched b4 and i want 2 start but i dont kno

yea i never pitched a game in my life and i want 2 start now even though im a sophmore in high school but i dont kno if i should. Right now i play outfield and catcher but i want to try pitching. Maybe like a 1 inning reliever or sumthign but i dont kno if i should. meaning my speed and location arnt taht good. i can pitch about a 70-75 mph fastball if i really tried. My curve ball does not have a “12-6” drop it only curves. My sinker has a drop usually and my change up kinda moves around. Please tell me if these pitches are supposed to be like this. mainly the changeup.

Well, that’s a big question. Just picture what you want the ball to do before you throw it and then trust it – turn it loose. Don’t try.

I think you should try to learn a 12-6 curve. The sinker should drop like you said it does and the change should be 7-15mph less than the fastball.

A good changeup will make your 75mph fastball looks like a 85mph fastball.

Babe Ruth once said that a good changeup will cause batters more grief than anything else. So I think what you want to do is focus on developing a really good one. It’ll make your fast ball look as if it were coming in there at 100 miles an hour. 8)

[quote=“blackdragon04”]yea i never pitched a game in my life and i want 2 start now even though im a sophmore in high school but i dont kno if i should. Right now i play outfield and catcher but i want to try pitching. Maybe like a 1 inning reliever or sumthign but i dont kno if i should. meaning my speed and location arnt taht good. i can pitch about a 70-75 mph fastball if i really tried. My curve ball does not have a “12-6” drop it only curves. My sinker has a drop usually and my change up kinda moves around. Please tell me if these pitches are supposed to be like this. mainly the changeup.[/quote]75mph?

ahem… cough, cough… Takes lots of work to get to that velocity over the plate consistently at that age.

Not calling you a liar, just saying that you’re lying, get a gun (stalker) and find out how fast you really throw before just making up numbers.

That’s like saying, I’ve never jogged before… But, I ran my first mile in 5:10.

Is it honestly that hard to throw 70s at the age of 15-16? I don’t want to seem stuck up or anything but most all members of this forum around that age throw at least that hard. Varies from person to person, though.

[quote=“jpeavy44”]Is it honestly that hard to throw 70s at the age of 15-16? I don’t want to seem stuck up or anything but most all members of this forum around that age throw at least that hard. Varies from person to person, though.[/quote]Is it hard? No. But, for someone to pitch at that velocity with relatively no experience and throw strikes…

I’d say so.

Accuracy? True true true. But many people have the natural arm strength.

Of course, getting it over the plate is very hard with no experience, even if one has had very good accuracy throwing from say the outfield or across the infield.

True jpeavy
Im 15 and i regularly sit 83-84.

BlackDragon,

If you’re really searious about wanting to pitch, I recommend finding a good pitching instructor who you can work with. Consistent practice under the supervision of someone who knows his stuff will help you get where you want to go.

If you can’t make the instructor thing happen, then post some video of yourself on this site and get what feedback you can.

Just tell your coach you want to pitch. he’ll work something out for you.