I need more velocity

If you look at the last at bat, I am throwing harder but I still need more velocity. Any suggestions would help.

Mo,
By all the vid you’ve posted to date, it looks to me (And this is just from the vids) like you are way too in love with the breaking stuff. Not that it’s bad necessarily (You’ve got some really nice funk there brother) but it doesn’t walk hand in hand with driving up your velo number. I watch your arm action and it looks (Distance and lack of camera stability make “real” assessment very tough) like each pitch you are “trying” to develop movement.
Look in LankyLeftys log and checkout some of the velo increase work he did (DON’T DO IT IN SEASON!!!) and consider stealing a page from Paul Nymans SetPro tenant of intent…I’m not going to define it here because I want you to go like Lefty did and find out for yourself.
It looks like you’ve got all of the ingrediants…keeping working hard and focusing.

I only saw maybe 2 fastballs the whole set, you gotta trust in the fastball and use it more. One of the fastball pitches you looked to shortarm it just a bit, I might be lead to think you might guide that pitch more than your curve and slider(I think I saw that too). Maybe you don’t have the trust to throw the FB for strikes, all the same mechanics of your curve should be deployed with your FB and I think you will get better results and velocity.

Jim Brosnan, a very good relief pitcher, was with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1959, and one day he was talking with pitching coach Clyde King (who was himself no slouch) about a problem he was having with his two fast balls, a two-seamer and a four-seamer, neither of which was working for him. King immediately called in a catcher, and he told Brosnan to throw for some ten or fifteen minutes using both pitches. Then he told him to drop the four-seamer, which was not working for him at all, and go with the two-seamer, which was working. Brosnan became a sinker-slider pitcher and a very good one, and he had some of his best seasons with the Cincinnati Reds.
I’m wondering if perhaps you’re facing the same situation. It has been observed that you might not be having any real confidence in your fast ball, and it occurs to me that you have both a two-seamer and a four-seamer, and one of them is working better for you than the other. Which one? You may want to do a bullpen session—grab a catcher, have him set up behind the plate with a mitt and a mask (no need for the full “tools of ignorance” unless you’re the kind who will sneak in a knuckleball now and then), and do some serious throwing using both fast balls. Observe carefully what you’re doing with them—you may find that one of those two pitches is working better for you. If such is the case, go with that one. You will find that you’ll be able to pick up more speed with it, and better control as a result.
And remember—you need to get your whole body into the action and not just throw with your arm and your shoulder. When you drive off the lower half of your body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, you generate more power behind your pitches, not to mention taking a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder so that you’ll throw harder and faster with less effort (thus avoiding a sore arm)—this use of the lower body is the real key to a pitcher’s power. This was something I learned a long time ago from watching how the Yankees’ legendary Big Three rotation did it, and when I started working on it on my own I got the same results those guys did. Even though I wasn’t much on speed I too could throw harder with less effort. So work on this and see what happens! :slight_smile: 8)