I need more speed!

I want to pitch on my JV team this year. I am a freshman and i need a little more “umph” on my fastball and slider. Any tips on personal workouts would be great, i would really appreciate the help. Email is "brennand2008@hotmail.com"
Thanks alot!!!

Hi, junkman! Here’s me again, and I can tell you about something I did years ago that might help. I used to go to the old Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I liked to watch the pitchers—and I noticed something the Yankees’ Big Three pitching rotation was doing, both in practice sessions and during games. They were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one seamless motion, and that was how they were getting the power behind their pitches. I saw exactly how they were doing it, and I realized I needed to do something like that, so I made a mental note of it and started working on it. As I practiced this essential aspect of mechanics I found that not only was I throwing harder but also it took a lot of pressure off the arm and shoulder—how not to get a sore arm!
You might try working with this for a while. Maybe you won’t get up to the speed of C.C. Sabathia, but you’ll be able to throw harder and faster than you do now. :slight_smile:

thats helpful zita. i tried today in practice and like you said it helped alot with speed and soreness. also it helped me keep my curve down low from the release and gave it a quick break on the ball. thnx alot!

No problem. Glad I could help. I only wish more pitchers were aware of this simple, basic element of mechanics! :smiley: