I need help

when i am pitching alone i throw hard and accurate
but during practice and games my mechanics are not the same as when i pitch at home
and i throw a lot slower with no accuracy
any ideas on how to fix the problem

Here are a few of thoughts:

1. It is very difficult, perhaps impossible, to be truly objective about the pitching you do by yourself. Things may be as you say but, honestly, you should also consider the possibility that you are kidding yourself along to some extent.

2. Baseball is not a game you can play by yourself. You can practice by yourself to some extent but ultimately it’s what you do in full view of other knowledgeable people that means something in baseball. Practicing by yourself should never get in the way of practicing with other players–you will learn far more from interacting with your peers than you can learn on your own. Not least, this includes: How to manage your performance anxiety when lots of eyes are focused on you.

3. Consider finding ways of changing the balance of your lone practices toward more team practices (or practice more with your dad, or a coach, or a friend).

Let me tell you about something I did when I was a little snip—twelve years old or so. I would find a catcher, and we would mark off a home plate and a pitcher’s mound at the distance of 60’6", and we would play a little game we called “ball and strike”. This was more than just a drill; it was a marvelous way to sharpen up my control, and it was a lot of fun besides. The catcher would position his mitt high, low, inside, outside, whatever, and what I had to do was get that ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt. We would go at it for an hour, maybe more, and I would work at it with the pitches I had at my disposal. I wasn’t fast, not by any stretch of the imagination, so I had to go to breaking stuff early on, and I was a natural sidearmer who, even though I wasn’t fast, could throw hard and use the slide-step which tended to add some speed to my delivery. Even after I acquired some more stuff I continued to do this.
This is just one of the things you can do. Oh yeah—I forget who said this, but one pitcher observed that speed and velocity are two different things altogether. Velocity is about direction—about control. You could throw 100 miles an hour and not get anywhere near the plate, or you could throw 90 and hit your spots every time. 8) :baseballpitcher:

Nicely said zita

well, when i say alone, i mean just me and a catcher
sorry… i don mean it literally alone

“…during practice and games my mechanics are not the same as when i pitch at home and i throw a lot slower with no accuracy”

--------So, you are working with a catcher at home? Is he a teammate of yours or a family member? If your catcher is a family member who flatters you alot, that might not be completely realistic. Most dads (I’m one) cannot give their teenaged children unbiased, objective advice without it sounding like unwarranted personal criticism to the kid. Trying their best to avoid negative criticism, sometimes dads can overbalance towards flattery. (Don’t mind me if these comments are way off target, I’m just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see if any of it will stick…).

Do you and your catcher practice together on a regular mound somewhere, or are you talking about flat-ground throwing in your backyard? It’s hard to imagine that you could get higher velocity on flat-ground, but seems possible that you could be more accurate that way…

by that i mean my friend ( who is a catcher) comes over, and we warm up in my backyard.
we then go to the baseball field, n i pitch to him on a real mound
i can see the drop in velocity n accuracy
o btw i am harshly commented when i pitch, no one is soft on me

Hi loco123,

It difficult to give you specific advice on mechanics without seeing a video of your play. However, based on what you have said, two things come to mind:

1. When you pitch in the backyard, it sounds like you are throwing on level ground compared to when you pitch in a game where you are on a mound. This slight different may be resulting in some accuracy issues as your head may be moving more while on the mound compared to at home.

2. I wonder if you are not pushing off the rubber properly when throwing from the mound. Make sure you are driving off the rubber and carrying over your lead feet while driving the pitch to home plate.

One quick fix of this would be to practice your pitching all the time at the mound rather than in your backyard. Over time, you will develop muscle memory for throwing from the mound and rediscover your lost speed. Most people will actually end up throwing faster from a mound because of the better angle to throw from rather than on a flat surface. I think you just need to put in some more practice time and you will discover the exact problem for yourself.

Hope this helps,
Jack Elliott
Baseball Training Tips
http://www.baseballtrainingtechniques.com