I need help :P

Hey this is me pitching. I think it isn’t good, so I hope you can help me.

I think your hat is excellent!! :lol:

am I that bad?

no you’re not that bad at all. You seem to throw across your body a little bit.

I agree with TheOleOneBall - you stride to the throwing arm side quite a bit and throw back across your body. This also causes a significant posture change that will affect your control.

I like a lot of what I see here. Good work.

I just posted in another thread about how the kid was NOT short-arming but this pitcher is. German, you are keeping a really tight bend in your throwing arm as you wind up. Relax that, a bit. Don’t over-exaggerate this and straighten it completely out. Just get it to somewhere around 90 degrees and so it feels right for you. It should feel looser and more relaxed. It’s much too constricted right now. Again, don’t go to the opposite extreme either. Somewhere in the middle. Look at video on this site of guys like Ryan, Clemens, Brown, etc., etc.

Also, you need to throw while over and on top of your front leg more. Right now, you’re throwing from behind it. The issue the others mentioned about your landing on the throwing hand side, too closed is serious. Maybe if you landing in a better position, with more momentum sideways and thought “throw late” you might just get up where you need to be as you release.

Again, watch the videos of the pros.

You have some nice things going on there but you’re being held back by these others. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for all of your advice. It is great to hear what I can do better (I was never taught pitching, all learned by myself). I will work on that and show you another video then.

Also keep your shoulders closed until foot strike so you can have one ballistic movement forward out front. This will help your hip-shoulder seperation and generate more torque which will increase your velocity. One way is to focus on keeping your glove arm bent laterally roughly at 90 degrees and drive that elbow to the target until foot strike.

Okay, I have something I want to add… do not listen to what I have to say unless someone confirms… but you may want to have your fingers and ball pointed behind you so when you throw, it naturally turns. its hard to explain…

This is known as showing the ball to CF/2B and it’s a TERRIBLE idea.

That’s why most pros don’t do it.

Chris,

Please tell him why showing the ball to 2B and/or CF is a bad idea. Lots of people teach this, so help everyone understand.

Don’t shoot the poor guy down without letting him know your stance. It also may help others who read the post.

Best Regards,
Tom

To reduce the load on the elbow, we want to pronate through the release point. To do this as much as possible, you want to be as supinated as possible before your arm starts to accelerate. That forces you to pronate to get the palm to face the target.

By showing the ball to CF/2B, you start out in a position of maximum pronation. The forces you to supinate through the release point in order to get the palm to face the target. That maximizes the load on the UCL and leads to elbow problems.

What’s funny is that lots of people preach showing the ball to CF/2B, but don’t know why.

It’s just something they heard at some point.

Chris,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Tom

i was never very good at anatomy - pronation is a counter clockwise rotation of the forearem (for righties) and supination is just the opposite correct?

If your arms are held out from your sides with your elbows extended, pronation is thumb down and supination is thumb up.

That sounds right to me - it is rotation with the thumbs inward.

im eventually going to have to get my mechanics up here… once i can find a baseball… since my injury is annoying me and i learned that u were supposed to do that…

that being said… when you are pitching, where are you supposed to have the ball pointing? from the ground then towards the plate? thanks in advance

[quote=“Kamaraz”]im eventually going to have to get my mechanics up here… once i can find a baseball… since my injury is annoying me and i learned that u were supposed to do that…

that being said… when you are pitching, where are you supposed to have the ball pointing? from the ground then towards the plate? thanks in advance[/quote]

I like my RHPs to show the ball to 3B soon after breaking their hands and through to the high-cocked position.

The first stop shows how much you short-arm it. The red line shows about where it should be.

The next stop shows the lack of external rotation you have. This is most likely due to you keeping a tight arm action (caused by short-arming). the yellow line shows a high-level degree of external rotation (90 degrees).

The last stop shows how you release behind your back leg. The white line shows what I consider a good angle forward for your torso at release. The yellow line shows the minimum it should be at (must be over) the yellow line is the line straight over your front leg.

Good luck

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“Kamaraz”]im eventually going to have to get my mechanics up here… once i can find a baseball… since my injury is annoying me and i learned that u were supposed to do that…

that being said… when you are pitching, where are you supposed to have the ball pointing? from the ground then towards the plate? thanks in advance[/quote]

I like my RHPs to show the ball to 3B soon after breaking their hands and through to the high-cocked position.[/quote]

Do you have any videos of what you’re saying Mr. O’leary… I don’t understand it very well.