I need help and fast!

My name is Jordan Coleman, I am a freshman at Somerset High School in Somerset, KY and I play football and baseball. I dont play much in varsity except for pinch running. For JV I am one of the starting pitchers and I by far throw the slowest on the team. I throw inbetween 72-76 on my good days. But recently I have been expericing some lower back pains when I pitch in a game or just throw a bullpen and when I hit and it has slowed me down a bit cuz I have had to tweak my mechanics. But even when I am good I am still the slowest pitcher on the whole team with a 72-76 mph fastball.

I have lifted weights for a year because of football and I think I am strong enough to be throwing in the lower 80’s but I just can’t. I am also the smaqllest person on the team at 5’5 135 lbs. But I know that I am strong enough to be throwing faster cuz when we maxed out in football I was the second freshman in total weight lifted. I maxed out at:

1. Bench- 175
  2. Squat- 350
  3. Cleans- 175

Is it my mechanics? Because I have been working hard to correct some of my mechanics like finding my balance point on my leg kick and not tilting my head and staying centered for example. But lately my arm has started to act up and it has been getting really sore in the elbow area and I have been having lower back pains whenever I throw a bullpen or a game.

What can I do… a weight training program? Long toss? Work on my mechanics? What???

My goal is to be throwing in the high 70’s and maybe even lower 80’s by the end of the season and we are already just half way. I would love to get some weight training workouts or anything to help me alot.

Jordan Coleman #9

Focus on long toss and your mechanics, perfecting your mechanics will allow you to get every ounce of power out of your body. Make sure your focusing on following through, go on a mound and stride out to where u would be when u land and have somebody take 4 or 5 steps past that and take a towel and have them stick there hand out and try to hit it everytime. This will help you pick up some velocity and spend about 20 to 30 mins a day in front of a mirror doing drills so u can see what ur mechanics look like. In the off season lift like crazy and eat like theres no tommorow but for right now mechanics and long toss. Like i said before though i knew kid who got drafted last yr and throughout high school he didnt weigh more than 145 lbs and topped out at 93 mph so to throw hard u dont gotta be a monster but putting on 10 or 20 lbs in the offseason would help quite a bit.

72-76 is not bad for a freshman. If you need some changes to help you during this season, focus on your mechanics and control. If you can hit all the spots, even at 72 mph, you will be successful.

As for the offseason, LHP is right on. Work on your mechanics and possibly look into a pitching instructor. You don’t need to worry too much about strength since football seems to be a good lifting program for you. Get some weight on your frame and maxmize your mechanics and you should see an increase in velocity by next season.

i’m alot stronger then you and the hardest i ever threw was about 80,81 off a mound…i really don’t think overall strength has as much to do with it as proper mechanics, greg maddux still throws around 90mph (i think) and look at him, i know he doesn’t squat 300lbs, theres no way

i’d say long toss, work on your mechanics, and focus on strengthening your rotator cuff

[quote=“shsbaseball_9”]But lately my arm has started to act up and it has been getting really sore in the elbow area and I have been having lower back pains whenever I throw a bullpen or a game…What can I do… a weight training program? Long toss? Work on my mechanics? What???
[/quote]

How old are you?

I ask because the problems you are having with your elbow indicate that you could be putting more load on it than it can handle. If you’re younger than 16 or 17, then that could lead to serious problems.

In that case, I would suggest you try to drop a few MPH (and work on control) rather than trying to boost your velocity.

Maddux was around 83-85 mph last night and he pitched a great game against the Dodgers. Tomko was pitching 91-94 and he ended up taking the loss.

Velocity isn’t the most important thing.

I think thats a problem with younger pitchers today, everyone is in such a hurry to throw the ball 85-90 mph and dont focus enough on there mechanics. I know from experience all through out high school the pressures are on you to throw hard because thats how you get into big time colleges. My pitching instructor always preached not be in such a hurry and if you do the things like develop ur mechanics not only will it help u throw harder but youll be 2 steps ahead of the rest. I went from throwin 81-83 in high school and couldnt get a single look from any Division 1 or 2 colleges and now im pitching and at a division 3 college and in my last start i was consistently hitting 87-89 on the gun and im the staff ace now. So dont rush things and if you put in the hard work and believe in yourself itll come and your arm will thank you yrs down the road lol

It sounds like its a mechanics thing. I’m a sophmore (5’7" 130 lbs). You are way stronger than me, but I can throw about the same speed (70-ish). I can only squat about 200, bench 100 and clean 85. Get the Nolan Ryan Pitchers Bible. It has a big section on mechanics. Also video taping yourself would probablly help too.

[quote=“Taylor”]i’m alot stronger then you and the hardest i ever threw was about 80,81 off a mound…i really don’t think overall strength has as much to do with it as proper mechanics, greg maddux still throws around 90mph (i think) and look at him, i know he doesn’t squat 300lbs, theres no way

i’d say long toss, work on your mechanics, and focus on strengthening your rotator cuff[/quote]

Taylor brings up some good points. Nice. Flexibility and sprint work help, too.

Lifting is only a piece of the puzzle. There is so much more involved with velocity. There is no way to predict velocity based on how much someone lifts.

Lifting makes you more athletic and powerful. You then need to apply this new athleticism and power to the skill of pitching. If this is done then you should see increased velocity. And we haven’t even begun to talk about flexibility/balance issues.