I need a fourth pitch

I need that extra pitch to keep the hitters guessing. I have: Fastball, Curve, and Vulcan Splitter.

I hope you can help.

Thanks…

whats a vulcan splitter?

You grip the ball like a 2 seam fastball. Spread you fingers so they are quite aways outside of the seams. Then, instead of having your other fingers on the side, bring them in contact with your middle finger. So, making a V with your index and the rest of your fingers. I get a lot of k’s and ground balls because of the 12 to 16" drop at the last second.

A 12 to 16 drop is pretty impressive.

Pitch selection (in relation to an arsenal) has a lot to do with your arm slot and, in general, how you throw. However, since every pitch is based off of the fastball arm speed and slot, it might be better to just keep working on that. If you get a lot of K’s and ground balls with this “vulcan splitter” then I would work on fastball location and or movement.

Can you show us a picture?

im guessing this vulcansplit thingy youre talking about is probably just a circle change variant. index finger on the side, 3 other fingers on top. anything that works for you though. oh and im about to say what you probably heard many many times, and will probably bum you out, because you like the fact of throwing different pitches, but fastball change-up curve is all you will ever need in the game. other pitches are there because someone somewhere at some time, couldnt control one of those 3 pitches or just experimented and found something that came easy for him. the only three pitches you should really work on are the fastball the changeup and the curve. learn to pitch instead of throwing.

Pitch types:

Super fast, no movement
Fast, movement
Medium slow, lots of movement
slow, movement

Those are the pitches I throw. :wink:

Can you show us a picture?[/quote]

Its simple. Can you make the Vulcan sign thingy with your hand? you got big hands? transfer the Vulcan sign thing onto the baseball. Plain and simple.

But he said split the index finger and the rest…

He’s throwing a vulcan change-up with his fingers spread out to throw a splitter.

I suggest you pick up a vulcan change I throw one as well. I posted about this on the HQ as well I believe. I really recommend the change-up or possibly the ol’ knuckler.

Why not try the ol’ k-ball? I picked it up last year. But don’t throw it to every hitter. Throw it every once in a while so in the back of the hitter’s mind is that he knows you have a k-ball and it will throw him off balance.

You can also work in a change-up, change of speed is always nice :wink: .

try and pick up a cutter. Good pitch to have. Im barely learning it and trying to just get the feel of it. I grip it on the right side of the horseshoe part of the ball with my pointer on the left side of seam and middle finger on the right having the seams in the middle (im a righty). Key is keep the grip loose and just throw it like a fastball. The harder you throw it the later the break youll have. Ive also learned if you throw it softer it makes a good slider. So id try it out and just mess around with it. But the key is not to try and turn your hand (opposite of pronate) i forgot lol Just keep it like a fastball.

a slurve is a great pitch to have. grip it with your middle finger at 45 degrees[ look at a the horseshoe on the ball] when u grip it get your thumb as far on the ball as you can. throw it like a fastball and at the last second “karate chop” the relase. hope this helps

I don’t fully understand on your description. How do you do it?

what you do is, you grip the ball along the horse shoe. You apply lots of pressure on your middle finger and your index finger rests on the side of your middle finger. When the hold the ball you try to get the ball as ‘deep’ in your fingers as you can. when you throw it just snap down right before your realse. This will genarally give it a late sharp break.

Slurve = Curve grip with Slider pronation.

ok well its more of a curveball not a slurve sorry.

Most people supinate a slider not pronate, its possible to pronate but I don’t know who does that. And I believe you are incorrect, but I’m not positive, and a sluve is a curveball and a slider, it’s the sliders movement with the curveballs speed. Most curves are slow but more 12-6 than sliders, and most sliders are more side to side. And also last I knew the slurve isn’t a very good pitch to have and is actually supposed to be avoided because many kids do it on accident. If you throw a slurve and its the way I’m talking about if I’m right its not a good pitch to throw. Even if you think your deceving a batter because the ball looks like it’s going to hit him then comes in for a strike you will soon find at a higher level of baseball even JV to varisty when you throw that to a good hitter your not going to watch it go into the catchers glove, maby to back of the fense. I would not throw a slurve if it is what I say it is, if that’s correct.

has anyone said a change up?!, a nice circle change i mean come on johan makes a living on the change up, every pitcher really needs a change up and it really should be the second pitch u learn aside from the natural fastball.

a good change of speeds with the same arm action, mixes everyone up.

Most people supinate a slider not pronate, its possible to pronate but I don’t know who does that. And I believe you are incorrect, but I’m not positive, and a sluve is a curveball and a slider, it’s the sliders movement with the curveballs speed. Most curves are slow but more 12-6 than sliders, and most sliders are more side to side. And also last I knew the slurve isn’t a very good pitch to have and is actually supposed to be avoided because many kids do it on accident. If you throw a slurve and its the way I’m talking about if I’m right its not a good pitch to throw. Even if you think your deceving a batter because the ball looks like it’s going to hit him then comes in for a strike you will soon find at a higher level of baseball even JV to varisty when you throw that to a good hitter your not going to watch it go into the catchers glove, maby to back of the fense. I would not throw a slurve if it is what I say it is, if that’s correct.[/quote]

WOW I made a mistake. I got confused and said pronate. I meant supinate. (I get them mixed up, on occasion.)