I need a FIX for lack of

I have a pitcher that is NOT getting any what so ever leg follow-through at the tail end of his delvery I want that leg UP in the air allot more . I know what the problem is its poor momemtum I have tried some drills just looking for more HELP

Here is a quick technique that my son has used since he was 9…it works for anytime to work on leg movement and leg action.

First, the path the back foot takes is going to mimic the arm slot. An over-the-top pitcher will have the back foot come up high while a side-arm pitcher will have the back foot come around the side. So, it might not be appropriate for your pitcher’s back foot to pop up high.

Understan that how the back foot finishes is a result of what he does before that point. It’s not a problem in and of itself but more an indicator of how well or how poorly he did what came earlier in his delivery. You need to fix the cause - not the symptom. If he’s leaving the back foot behind like a boat anchor, there’s a good chance he’s not getting his center-of-gravity moving fast enough to create the momentum that will result in the back foot coming around (in whatever slot is appropriate for him). In this case, check out the Hershiser Drill.

Roger,

Thanks for the info on the Hershiser Drill drill I have him already doing that I am a NPA guy myself. I talked to Tom three weeks ago and he told me it all goes back to momentum. He needs to get to foot strike as far and as fast as possible and is affected by.

1. Leg Lift
  2. Stride Direction
  3. Stride Distance
  4. Timing

I am just looking for other drills to get him there. I like that bucket drill the other guy sent me I will try it out.

Roger is so right with the arm path, the bucket drill really works for over the top pitchers to maybe around 3/4 arm slot but not side arm pitchers. Good Luck.

I really hate to disagree but I cant agree with getting to foot strike as far and fast as possible. Pitchers can overstride and can also rush their delivery causing among other flaws arm drag.

As far as the height of his leg approaching finish, Roger hit it out of the park. The height should mimic the arm slot. Watch Pedro Martinez as an example. Low 3/4 to sidearm slot and his finish leg would almost swing around.

My son uses a drill his PC came up with. That is to work toward an overexaggerated finish at 50% speed working up to full speed. As the speed increases the overexaggeration of finish lessens and the final product is a proper finish with proper timing and follow through.

[quote=“Turn 22”]I really hate to disagree but I cant agree with getting to foot strike as far and fast as possible. Pitchers can overstride and can also rush their delivery causing among other flaws arm drag.

As far as the height of his leg approaching finish, Roger hit it out of the park. The height should mimic the arm slot. Watch Pedro Martinez as an example. Low 3/4 to sidearm slot and his finish leg would almost swing around.

My son uses a drill his PC came up with. That is to work toward an overexaggerated finish at 50% speed working up to full speed. As the speed increases the overexaggeration of finish lessens and the final product is a proper finish with proper timing and follow through.[/quote]

Absolutely true about pitchers overstriding and rushing the delivery. I am currently recovering my mechanics from my previous colleges pitching program. Not every pitcher is meant to go from leg lift to foot strike in .75 seconds, nor reach a stride of 90% of your body height. It takes a long time to effectively develop those mechanics to keep your timing throughout your delivery. Timing absolutely must be kept in sequence if you are to speed up the delivery. Complicated mess really…