I need a change-up

I have seen many different changeup grips out there, and I have tried and tried to throw a circle change and a straight(better known as the 3-finger)-change. But I cant get good control over the circle change and I dont feel like the straight change is doing much.

I have a very effective line-up of pitches. These include: 4-seam FB, 2-seam FB, 12-6 Curve, Slider(slurve-ish break?), and a knuckleball. I can throw all of these pitches for strikes, but I think I need a change up because I don’t always go to my knuckleball or slider. Very seldom will I throw those in the mix. My go-to-pitch is usually my 2-seam FB, so if I had a change up, I could keep batters off balance a little more. One thing to keep in mind is that I dont have very long fingers, so that may change something. If anyone has any sort of tips, I’d love to see them.

Look at the possibility of “changing speeds” on the 2 seam, you can do it a number of ways, pin pointing a 76 mph 2 seamer out of the zone and then following it up with a two-seamer in a seemingly hittable spot but its 5 mph faster on them…way hard to adjust pitch to pitch. Maddux worked that way, you can lose speed by adding a finger or choking the ball deeper in your palm.
The best change up is one that is practiced faithfully, it will never be good from the get go, but as you “develop” your pitch, you will become more and more adept.

Now I have thought of throwing a split-change, sort of like Halladay. I do believe that Tim Lincecum throws something similar as well. But another option would be to add that extra finger or choking the ball into my palm like you said

Here are the options I give to pitchers to try:

Circle change - It is important to grip the ball with thumb and middle finger cutting the ball in half and then tuck the index finger down the side of the ball only as far as your flexibility allows. Don’t shift the hand over to one side of the ball just to make a tight little circle - there’s nothing magical about the circle. The centered grip will help with control. Then pronate the pitch as much is as possible.

3-finger change - Grip the ball with 3 fingers and throw it like a fast ball. Pronate it if you want.

Raised finger tips - Grip the ball like the 3-finger grip but raise the fingertips off the ball and throw the ball off the middle pads of your fingers.

Splitter - Grip the ball between the index and middle fingers. Keep the fingers off the seams. Also, keep the thumb centered under the “V” formed by the index and middle fingers.

Pronated fastball - Simply use your fastball grip and pronate the pitch as much as is comfortable.

The key to making the right choice is to give all of these enough reps to slowly cross them off the list one by one until, by process of elimination, you’ve figured out which one works best for you.

Babe Ruth, who knew a little something about pitching (smile), once said that a good changeup will cause batters more grief than just about anything else. He knew whereof he spoke.
Ed Lopat, my wise and wonderful pitching coach of way back when, once told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup. He demonstrated a few such for me, and I latched on to a couple of them and worked them up and added them to my arsenal. And a lot of it has to do with altering the grip and?or holding the ball further forward or further back in the palm of the hand—that’s the real secret to changing speeds. The alteration of the grip is an interesting way to do it; I recall the day he told me about the “slip” pitch and how to throw it—get a knuckleball grip, he said, and throw the slider with it. For those of you who are new to the changeup, try the palm ball—that was my first change, and a very good one it was.
One thing to remember: you have to throw every pitch, and I do mean EVERY pitch, with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as for the fast ball (or whatever your number one pitch is). :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

Thanks for the input. I will be using some of these suggestions in the future. I will be back to tell how my next start goes.

use the knuckleball as a change up?

It’s a very dirty knuckleball… It’s at Tim Wakefield status(Exaggeration). but I don’t like that to be my go to, or my “out pitch” because if it hangs… bad things will happen.

Very true. When the knuckleball is working (and a lot of it depends on the weather, the wind conditions, etc.), it is indeed a nasty pitch. But when it doesn’t knuckle, it turns into a gopher ball. we don’t need that, believe me.
One thing you might consider is the knuckle-curve. That’s a pitch that will mess up a hitter’s timing and his thinking any time. Mike Mussina had a dandy one when he was pitching in the majors. 8)

In my opinion a bad knuckle ball is better than the best one. I used to throw a dirty one, i don’t throw anymore cause it was harming my fastball movement, one thing that i learned is if you throw a knuckleball that moves like crazy, then you throw one with no movement the hitter won’t understand the knuckleball physics and will swing at it anyway.