I know there are mechanical problems here:

When i pitch in bullpen sessions I dont have this problem. Also, i throw a lot harder and more controlled. But today, i came in for relief and my command was horrible. I slowed down. And my mechanics looked like this:

I dont know exactly whats wrong here, i just know there is a problem.

Please Help. Thanks!

You are getting the arm up to quickly you don’t want the arm up till the body is ready to throw the ball that could lead to a shoulder/elbow problem try to take a longger arm swing.

What do you mean arm swing?

The way you take the ball out of the glove down and back. it looks like you have a short arm swing. Not a long one. A longer arm swing would help you get in a good throwing postion.

oh ok i know whatcha mean. ive also been thinking of changing my windup completely. I am more comfortable going over my head and looking alot like homer bailey (timing and leg stride. Not so much his leg kick.). Thats how i been throwing bullpen sessions. And i find it has forced me to take a longer stride and be a lot more explosive. Also, it helps me with timing and rythm. Plus, i think a problem that may be adding to that picture of me is seperating my hand and glove too early, as well as the “arm swing”, which the new mechanics seem to solve, now that i think about it.

does having my arm up early also slow down velocity?

having your arm up before the body might slow the pitch down idk But when you have the arm up like that your chance of injury is VERY HIGH because it puts alot of stress on the arm. Also look at garcia of the phillys and how he gets his arm up before the body is ready to throw it.

SP1B,

I personally wouldn’t mess with your throwing arm.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean when you say you slowed down but I’d bet that wasn’t the best thing to do as that probably changes your timing.

It’s too hard to tell much of anything from one picture. Maybe your weight was back too much. Maybe you opened up the front leg too soon. Maybe you reached with your front leg instead of leading with the front hip into your stride. These are just guesses.

[quote=“Roger”]SP1B,

I personally wouldn’t mess with your throwing arm.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean when you say you slowed down but I’d bet that wasn’t the best thing to do as that probably changes your timing.

It’s too hard to tell much of anything from one picture. Maybe your weight was back too much. Maybe you opened up the front leg too soon. Maybe you reached with your front leg instead of leading with the front hip into your stride. These are just guesses.[/quote]

Roger,

those are probably all correct lol. Tomorrow i should be going out to a Mound to throw some, so ill try to take some video to post of both new and old mechanics. I really need to throw more. Today’s lack of command on my fastball was due to the fact i have not played a game since last summer’s legion. I am too old to play anywhere else around here, and the aau team i was on did NOTHING. I am building a mound in my backyard soon, i cannot wait. Here is also another photo, if you can tell anything by it?

Well, let’s see…

Eyes are not locked on the target.

Maybe you’ve paused at the “balance point”. Many coaches teach the balance point. Even make their pitchers do the balance point drill. But there really should be no hesitation at the balance point. Some people will say that you still pass through the balance point. I say whatever. I’d rather my pitchers not think about a balance point at all. Again, this is just a guess although maybe a somewhat educated guess because your knee appears to be about as high as it’s going to go but you appear to be balanced over the pivot foot. Also, your shadow appears to be directly below you.

Well, i dont thikn i pause. Ill try to walk you through my windup. (sorry, video tomorrow after i throw some!) after taking a step, i drop my hands down (like brandon morrow, just to give you an idea).

Just as i rotate my right foot into place, i bring my hands back to like my head hieght. Then as i bring my knee up i bring my hands back down till they just about meet. Right after my hands seperate, and my leg begins its decent, simultaneously. So i dont think i Pause.

I made this windup a year or so ago, to get some kind of timing down between my legs and arms. But i really do think going over my head will solve some issues.

i do understand it is hard fo you to help with just photos. That is why tomorrow i will take video.

You may be moving in that you’re pivoting and your hands and knee are moving up and down. But what are your hips (i.e. your center of gravity) doing? Are they moving forward yet? If not, then you may have a hesitation, in my opinion.

Look at the clip of Randy Johnson at the bottom of this page and you’ll see his hips are moving toward home plate while his knee is still lifting. Obviously, he does not keep his weight back over the pivot foot and there is definitely no hesitation.

youre right. Compared to him i do believe i have some hesitition. I just dont know how to go about correcting it. I really want to get pitching lessons…