I keep hitting guys

In 8 innings this year I’ve hit 7 batters … it’s so strange b/c my control has been very good otherwise. I’m not walking batters, I’m getting ahead in counts, but every once in a while it gets away and i nail someone…

It seems to happen a lot when I have two strikes.

a couple of the beans were curve balls that didn’t break, but the others were all two seamers, which I guess shows good movement, but still, I wasn’t even really trying to come inside.

my catcher says I’m dropping my arm slot … which I guess I am… but why do I keep doing it? Am I lacking focus that much? How could I lose focus like that?

Why is that a bad thing? :slight_smile:

(if, of course, it’s with purpose)

to throw a ball isntead of a strike isnt bad at all. going for strikes every thrown ball is like, bad imo. but hitting batters , hmmm. maybe ur getting stressed/pressered?

describe some what more how u feel when u got that 2 strikes?

grtz

Rodriguez

with two strikes, i guess i kind of relax, maybe i feel too much like i’m in the driver’s seat and my mechanics could slouch a bit. I mean, it usually happens when I’m on a roll, I think to myself ‘boy i’m really dealing now’ and my control is good, and then inexplicably that ball just nails the batter, not anywhere near where i wanted it … it’s funny that i’m never wild away or high or low … i’m only wild inside… which would be good to effectively brush guys back, but it doesn’t work that way b/c the batter’s never get outta the way .

Pitching inside is such a lost art, plunking 1 now and then comes with the territory (however, NOT with your curveball).

My son seemed to hit more batters with 2 strikes on them, he was trying to over throw and get the strikeout.

yeh u might wanna clear ur mind. just basics

do the whole pitching motion. nice follow thro make sure ball gets in the glove.

maybe ur TO relaxed :wink:

“Overthrowing”…seldom do I see this as this problem with young pitchers on 0-2, usually it’s just the opposite, kids trying to get too crafty. Imo, it’s all about finding the proper release point for the situation…0-2, really turn it loose and expand the strike zone !

i had the same problem all i can tell ya man. is that it sometimes happens they just get away from u like that. dont let hitting a batter hurt ur confidence up on the mound we certainly wouldn’t want that. My problem was very similar cuz i would have 2 strikes on them and hit them mostly cuz they kinda dove in front of the ball or they were crowding the plate. I hit two batters in one inning this year. i fixed my problem by stepping more over on the mound it really helps not hit the batters as much.

Don’t try and do too much with one pitch. Just worry about making the control to put the ball where you want it. You are probably just putting to much on the ball. Stay calm.

true that man

and NOT on 0-2

Hose

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]In 8 innings this year I’ve hit 7 batters … it’s so strange b/c my control has been very good otherwise. I’m not walking batters, I’m getting ahead in counts, but every once in a while it gets away and i nail someone…

It seems to happen a lot when I have two strikes.

a couple of the beans were curve balls that didn’t break, but the others were all two seamers, which I guess shows good movement, but still, I wasn’t even really trying to come inside.

my catcher says I’m dropping my arm slot … which I guess I am… but why do I keep doing it? Am I lacking focus that much? How could I lose focus like that?[/quote]

Sounds like you’re in a rut. You tend to throw that 2 seamer inside with two strikes. Try a different tack. Who knows, the hitters may be looking for that inside sinker and lean into it. Throw a CU on the inside instead, or toss a 4 seamer off the plate on the outside. It may do you good to get out of the rut.

Hose

Pitching inside is a good thing. Plunking a few guys on the backside also can be beneficial.

Maybe you are overthrowing the ball trying to “blow it by 'em.” How about a change-up low and away?

Here’s are some good ways to get strike three:

1. Change-up low and away

2. Slider-low and away

3. Climbing the ladder with a 4 seamer

4. Drop down to side arm and throw a big sweeping curveball (not for you right now though)

5. Edinson Volquez of the Reds made guys like silly last night with his change-up -not his 96 mph heater. He threw one change up at 66 after a 96 mph heater.

6. This is Aaron Harangs out pitch. Because he commands the low out side part of the plate with his fastball, batters almost have to swing at his nasty slider.

7. Climbing the ladder is a pitching classic. Guys swing at balls over their head. If they lay off this one, then they’re set up for a down breaking pitch next time.

8. Many guys have used this to steal strike outs: El Duque Orlando Hernandez, Bronson Arroyo and David Cone come to mind as practicianers of this art. (only use on same side batters).Also means that you must occassionally throw a fastball from the same arm slot…

These 4 methods are timeless baseball pitching classics, and they still work!

Truly hope this helps,
Ian

im a big two seamer guy too and i hit alot of guys in high school too. make sure your staying closed and not flying open, up top especially, it will cause you release to far back and ride balls inside (beit a fastball or breaking ball) you also may have a problem not driving to the plate enough.

since you said it happens on two strikes alot it leads me to believe your just opening up too soon. its common to fly open when you try to throw a hard strikeout fastball. just remember to keep your shoulder in longer and you should notice a change almost immediatley.