I have a question for you guys

Recently I have lost my curveball. Now its just to slow and hangs every time.
I need to have a breaking pitch to add to my arsenal. I can’t throw a cutter anymore because when I throw a cutter for some reason I throw all arm. Is there any other breaking pitch I can learn.

Ask Jimster if you should throw a slider… jk :lol:. Ive had your same problem and recently am back to that problem. Lets jsut say my curveball was working as great as its ever been. School ended i went to Mexico on vacation 18 days it was great come back to throwing. LOST MY CURVE! we started up travel ball pitched in a innersquad game tried to believe it was back but idk wasnt working great kinda hanging slow and ugly in a bad way. Moral of my story is if you had a good curve its not lost. Its just “hiding” as one of my old coaches used to say haha. Just work on it and try and get it back. Try and maintain that fastball arm action with it follow through hard and im there with ya trying to find it back :wink:

Hi futureKazmir,

I am not sure what the inside joke is about sliders. These are good pitches and are great strikeout pitch when practiced and refined. However, before you start off practicing sliders and scrapping your curve completely, I would touch base with a pitching coach to help you relearn the curve. I am sure it is something minor that you are neglecting and once you start doing this, you will no longer have the “hanging curveball” issue. A good pitching coach can help you out with this in no time. A lot of pitchers have had this same issue and with a little help, they are back to dropping pitches off the table in no time.

Hope this helps,
Jack Elliott
Baseball Strategy
http://www.baseballtrainingtechniques.com/Baseball-Strategy/

Thanks for reply Mr.Elliott. the inside joke about sliders is your not supposed to be throw till the age of 17-18.

kelvinp is the inside joke about sliders

ha ha ha properly thrown wont hurt your arm

who set this age limit

changing grips could help with your curve

Yes, indeed—who set this age limit?
My guess it’s some people who never learned to throw it, and they think no one else should either. The fact is that the slider, when you throw it correctly, is easier on the arm and shoulder than almost any other pitch. This was told to me by the pitcher (an active major leaguer who used it a lot) who taught me to throw it. No abstruse technicalities, no complicated expositions. He simply told me, “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” He showed me the off-center grip—and this is important, the grip is indeed off-center—demonstrated the wrist action, which once you get the hang of it is a lot easier—and then handed me the ball he had with him and said, “Go ahead, try it.” I did, and in about ten minutes I got the idea.
I worked with it over the winter, and it became my strikeout pitch. I was sixteen at the time, and I don’t think that this is too young an age to try it. Now that I think of it, I think that the key to the whole thing is relaxation. Also, I threw sidearm—I threw all my stuff that way—and I never had any arm or shoulder problems with anything.
So if you want to try that pitch, work with it and see what you can do with it, go ahead. :slight_smile: 8)

I’ve got a crazy question for you Zita. Did you by any chance pitch for the St. Paul Saints at some point in your life?

No, I never pitched outside the New York area. But it was fun, and when I had to stop because of my work schedule catching up with me I’ll bet the opposing batters were very glad to see me go. If they couldn’t handle snake-jazz… :slight_smile: :wink: :baseballpitcher:

a knuckle curve is a great pitch if u can get a feel for the grip. also u can throw any pitch at any age if u throw it right. also a screwball has great movement.

I just wondered Zita because I know of a knuckleballer who is still trying to go back to the Saints that is 53 now and his first stint with them (btw: they’re independent pro) and he was talking to me about how he lost his starting job to a female pitcher. Just an interesting occurance I thought I’d bring up. His name is John Secrist.

Interesting indeed. I wonder how he happened to lose his position first time around and why, at the age of 53, he’s trying to be the second coming of Phil Niekro. 8)

Yeah he was a rookie in that league at the age of 44. lol

1. PUSTULIO—I think I have an answer for you. This morning I did a bit of research—don’t forget, I’m a member of the Society for American Baseball Research, and research is a major part of what we do—and here’s what I came up with: In 1997 the St.Paul Saints picked up a female pitcher named Ila Borders, and she worked that season with them as a reliever—good stuff, but she had trouble finding the plate, gave up a lot of hits and earned a lot of no-decisions. She was, of course, after my time. I wonder if she was the one Secrist lost his job to?