I dont know if it is just me, but it helps

it seems to me that since i am a righty pitcher, i always like to stand on the left side of the mond if i am facing a righty hitter, and the right side of the mound for a lefty hitter. is this weird and does it help anyone elses control?

I’ll be honest and say that you might want to consider sticking to one side or the other, preferably the right side. Pitching is all about consistency, and it is not good to change up your core mechanics between pitches.

Hi sickjunkman33,

There are a number of pitchers that are not afraid to move around on the pitching rubber. One of the most famous was Satchel Paige. By moving around on the rubber you do create different angles from which to throw your pitches which can benefit your pitching. This can be especially helpful for certain breaking pitches.

Most coaches and others who advocate sticking to one part of the rubber say so because they fill you can get maximum velocity by a right hander sticking to the right side of the rubber and a left hander the left side. In addition, they feel this gives more consistency to a pitcher’s control.

Who is right? This is difficult to tell. I am a believer that you should not be afraid to experiment and do different things like moving around on the rubber to distract the batter. However, if it starts to reach the point where your control and accuracy begin to fall apart, you should really cut back on this type of stuff and stick to the basics.

When I pitched, many moons ago, I generally stayed pretty much in the middle of the rubber. I was a snake-jazz pitcher, a true sidearmer with not much on speed but with a good assortment of breaking pitches, and I had a consistent release point. The one time I would shift position was when I would crossfire a pitch, in which I took a step toward third base (I was a righthander) and deliver the pitch from that angle, which would discombooberate the hitters no end because it looked to them as if it were coming at them from third base! :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

[quote=“Jack Elliott”]Most coaches and others who advocate sticking to one part of the rubber say so because they fill you can get maximum velocity by a right hander sticking to the right side of the rubber and a left hander the left side. In addition, they feel this gives more consistency to a pitcher’s control.

[/quote]
how on earth would you get more velocity by sticking to one side…?

I dont know if it would help with control but I would say If you could do this and still throw strikes it may mess with the batter a little bit. This may help give you that 51% edge we all try to get.