Hypertrophy, Strength, and Power Phases

My off season starts in about two weeks. From then until my next in-season, next year, i have about 7-8 months off. How long should i do each of these “phases”. I figured hypertrophy would be in the 10-12 rep range, strength in the 6-8, and power in the 3-4 rep range. How much time should i spend doing each of these. I would like to make the biggest gain in power, then strength, and then leastly in size. Thanks for the help.

Depends on your training status. How much you weigh, how strong you are, what you’ve done in the past, what your injuries are, etc. Far too vague.

my man kyleb is 100 percent right. If you want a specific answer, ask a specific question.

Other than giving us some info, i will tell you right now, of my own experience.

I started strength training for around 6 months, then tried hypertrophy for around 2 months.

I can tell you right now, that hypertrophy is a load of b.s.

some people may be different from me, but i don’t gain any muscle at all from the whole 3 sets of 10-12 rep bull crap.

don’t do any phases at all, keep it 5 sets of 5 reps. 3 exercises each body part. I don’t care even if it is an isolation exercise keep it to 5 sets of 5 reps. Again this is what works for me

When i did the 6 months of strength training i gained 22lbs of muscle, and 3 lbs of fat, which is relatively 4lbs of muscle each month. It worked for me.

when i tried the hypertrophy i actually lost 4lbs. I know its due to diet, but alot of things blew up in my face, lost strength, size, just didn’t like it.

Also whats the point of hypertrophy.

Why would you want muscles that look big, that have absolute no strength backing them up.

Still to strength training, and i still guarantee you will gain alot of weight

Conclusion: Do 8 months of strength training. Guaranteed will change your body.

Also diet is by far the most important thing when gaining weight.

Eat over your maintence level you will gain weight, eat to less you won’t gain crap. Eat too much you will gain fat.

My suggestion, count your calories somewhat.

also tell us your height, age, weight, your current deadlift,squat, and some sort of row.

hopes this helps bro

Beaver26

I went back and read all 12 pages (!) of your pitching log to get a sense of where you are coming from re: training. Its actually quite detailed and you are doing a great job from what I’m reading….keep up the good work!

A few thoughts:

• I think one of the best things you have done so far in your young career is to play multiple sports. That has helped you avoid many of the repetitive motion injuries we see who pitch 11 months a year with all the showcases and traveling teams.

-Now… going forward are you still going to play other sports before next baseball season? Are you subject to that sports lifting protocol?

-Without going into a whole lot of specifics, if you have the ability to do so I think it would be great for your lifting program to go through different training cycles and “peak” just as baseball pre-season starts and you start throwing more.

-To stay in the same training “phase” for 7-8 straight months is not the answer IMO. In fact, if we have someone for this long, I would even lean toward a couple of micro-cycles with a deloading week or two to build on the previous phase…. depends also on whatever else you are doing during your off-season as well as I mentioned above.

-You have the order correct, though…especially regarding medball work. higher volume in the early phases of off-season and then tapering the more you start throwing bullpens…

-Much more detail involved, of course but gives you some things to think about…I can chime in more but I’m sure others will add as well. Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses. I am 15 years old and 5 8’. My weight is 157lbs. As for my lifts i am not sure what my 1RM are. This is what i am doing right now and an estimation of my 1RM:

Squat: 225lbs 3x8 1RM: 290

Deadlift: 200lbs 3x8 1RM: 260

DB Press: 45lbs 3x8 3RM: 55

Rows: 45lbs 3x8 3RM: 55

max neutral grip pullups: 11

I would like to do at least a month of lighter training, hypertrophy. Then a couple months of strength training, and finish with power training for a couple months before my next season starts, deloading for a week every 4-6weeks.

I will not be playing football this fall like i have in the past, and still am not sure whether i will play basketball. Either way i will be able to have my own training regimen.

My main goal this off season is to get things right mechanically using back chaining from SETPRO. So the reason i may not play other sports is that i won’t have time between throwing and lifting (or energy). Hope this gives you a better idea of what i will be doing.

again, i am going from my own personal experiences,

and i can say a beginner, like you, who is lifting, does not need hypertrophy, nor does he need power training(YET).

If you really want phases i would suggest strength training for 6 months, and then power training for 2 months

There is no, no,no need for any hypertrophy at all. You need some strength gains before you go ahead with the hypertrophy

Hypertrophy is for purely weight gain, nothing else, you don’t gain any strength at all doing hypertrophy, you lose strength.

Just my own opinion, you can do whatever you want bro.

How long have you been working out for?

I have been working out for about one solid year now. I had worked out a little bit before, but never consistently.

I would still prefer to do a little bit of light lifting before i get back to strength/power. Does anyone else have an opinion to offer on this? I respect yours, barrybonds, but would like to get a few more different views.

[quote=“BarryBonds999”]

There is no, no,no need for any hypertrophy at all. You need some strength gains before you go ahead with the hypertrophy

Hypertrophy is for purely weight gain, nothing else, you don’t gain any strength at all doing hypertrophy, you lose strength.

How long have you been working out for?[/quote]

my experience is that there is quite a bit of overlap between rep ranges…training in the 8-12 rep range isn’t OPTIMAL for strength or power gains, but it will still increase your strength some. Working in the 3-5 rep range may not be optimal for hypertrophy gains, but you will undoubtedly gain some muscle mass as well.

theres a reason bodybuilders are far stronger than “average” people. Their training still has a strength side effect, the focus is just hypertrophy.

Most routines have a FOCUS (strength, speed, hypertrophy, etc.) but still have enough variety that other aspects of an athletes performance will at the very least be maintained. For example, doing lower reps for the main lift is common, while still having a few assistance exercises at higher rep ranges. You might do 6x4 on the squat and then follow it up with 3 sets of 8-10 on the bulgarian split squat. These things are not absolute. You don’t have to do 3 sets of 10 on everything to be focused on hypertrophy, and you don’t need everything to be 5 sets of 5 to be focused on strength.

I am starting a new thread on what my actual workout will look like…