HUGE drop in velocoty tonight

I went for my program today and had a HUGE drop in velocity from the mound. I went from 82/83 avg. to 74 tops.

I felt like my hips were being blocked off and I couldn’t get that good hip/shoulder seperation that I usually get.

I didn’t feel that stretching and then contracting in my core like I do when I’m up at average velocity.

So, what causes hips being blocked off? I know one of the reasons is striding closed.

Hey man, sometimes you just dont feel right. If it happens next time you pitch, then there might be a problem, but it was probably just one of those nights.

Did you happen to do any lifting before you threw? When was the last time you have thrown?

It wasn’t really throwing but more conditioning… which is the same thing I do every Monday.

I haven’t thrown since last Monday but once again this is common and I’ve never had this drop before.

Same thing happened to me from time to time throughout my career. Usually the result of lifting too close to when I was pitching and not allowing enough recovery time.

Keep your head up. It’s one appearance of many, many more to come. The real question is were you able to use your other pitches effectively and still get the win? That’s the mark of a special pitcher.

For what it’s worth IMO the velocity loss is nothing to worry about unless it’s accompanied by some kind of pain in your throwing arm. I call it temporary dead arm.

Every year when preparing for the season, early on, my son goes through a period of feeling like he has no pop on his pitches. It seems to be just the arms natural reaction to “opening up” again and increased workload.

During the season you’ll go through it also. Heck even Sandy Koufax had trouble getting loose now and then.

Offset, have you recently gone through a growth spurt? If so, that can result in a velocity loss.

Unfortunately, no. I’m still a shrimp.

<Insert joke about “jumbo shrimp” here.> :stuck_out_tongue:

Really how?

I think it has to do with longer levers (i.e. bones) requiring more strength to accelerate. In growth spurts, the bones grow faster than the accompanying strength increases. So, until strength catches back up, velocity drops. Seems to make sense.

House told us that in some country (don’t remember which one), young athletes who grow “x” amount in “y” amount of time are removed from competetion for some period of time to allow them to play catch-up. I suppose one could be at an increased chance for injury in such a state. It’s an interesting concept.