Htting a batter/ Brush back etc

How do you react on the mound when you hit someone?

When I was younger I would always say “sorry” without thinking about it and as I got older I would not let it bother me, act as if I had struck out the hitter and was waiting for the next person up. I guess that could some times be misinterpreted to me doing it on purpose but hey, thats the game right?

Also, What are your thoughts on brushing someone back?
I Have no issue with it, If I hit em I hit em and that will just help in their next at bat when they crowed less and are less aggressive (or more, both work)

There’s a difference—a big one—between the brushback pitch and a HBP, as I see it. Let’s look at the HBP first.
Very often a batter is hit by a pitch because he makes no attempt to get out of the way of the ball—in fact, he leans into the pitch so he will get hit by it. That’s one way to get on base, although I don’t think it’s the best way, and it will result in an injury. And it is, in my considered opinion, a stupid way to get on base—but a lot of batters will do it. What do they call it?—“taking one for the team”?—it goes back a long way in the history of the game, and unless there’s a major change in the rule it will continue to be a major factor. The accidental HBP is the kind that just grazes the uniform, or the batter gets plunked in the tush or another soft part of the body where it won’t do any harm; however, too many of these say something about a pitcher’s control, and in the words of the immortal Duke Ellington, “it ain’t good”.
The brushback—some call it chin music—is often used to drive a plate-crowder back from the plate. We’ve seen a lot of those—the batter who stands so close to the plate that he’s almost standing on it, in the hope that he will force the pitcher to throw one outside so said batter can get at it and maybe hit one to the opposite field. The pitcher, in an attempt to get the batter to jump back, will throw way inside and often high—and if the batter knows what’s good for him he’ll jump back, or duck, as the case may be, and he has to avoid being hit by the pitch! I remember one Yankee great of years past—Yogi Berra, who would go after any pitch he felt he could get a piece of. He often got it, no matter where it was, and that led to the saying that “the only way to pitch to Berra was to throw the ball under the plate”. Yeah—and hope that he wouldn’t reach down and golf it into the seats.
Early Wynn once said that the pitcher’s mound was his office and that he didn’t want anyone messing around with it. That included the batter who crowded the plate, and if Wynn had to throw one high and inside to put a stop to it he would do so. He had excellent control, so he knew just how far inside he would have to deliver the pitch to accomplish his objective. So—such a pitch has its uses.
Again, about the HBP—once, maybe accidental, might be excused, but if the opposing pitcher does it by way of retaliating the plate umpire will warn both benches, and if there’s one more such occurrence the offending pitcher(s) will be run out of the game! 8)

Ahhhh… this is a speech I know well:

Gather around fellas, there’s something that I’d like to address for those of you just joining this rotation. Welcome.

The strike zone is fixture in your mind that has no extremes - left or right, up or down. It’s a place with limits though, and you’re expected to know those limits, prepare for working those limits, starting what you finish within those limits, inning after inning. If you have any doubts or questions with respect to what a strike zone is, now is the time to ask. Raise your hand, step forward and ask.

No one? Not even one of you?

So, when placed in the game to do a job, throwing strikes is that job first. If you’re to do otherwise, like tossing a “bait” pitch, or a “pitch out”, or something similar, you’ll be told to do so.

Now a word about brushing batter’s back - you do so on your own. You take it upon yourself to ignor the game plan, and take this experience as other than a professional job … and you’ll be on your own, get it!

This club, this rotation, this coaching staff does not give gifts to opposing clubs. We’re here no only to win … but to beat their brains out on that scoreboard. And we stop beating their brains out when our skipper say’s so, and as of this very moment … knowing him for all these years, I’ve never heard or seen him say, lets go home.

You hit a guy, for whatever reason, and give another club a gift of 90 feet, we’re gonna talk, and talk a lot.

Now, how do you react if “one get’s away from you?” You don’t - it’s business. These things happen, deal with it … they will, so will you. So, after a “smack”, look down at the ground in front of you, walk backwards , but keep facing home plate keeping your eyes away from the batter, NO EYE CONTACT, but don’t lose sight of the batter. If he charges the mound, your backstop will deal with it along with your other infielders - stay out of it!

Now before I ask are there any questions — I won’t. We do not have a coverstation here.

End of speech.

Coach B.

I’ve always felt that moving the feet is more effective than throwing at someone’s shoulders. Aim low.

I’m a HUGE fan of brushwork pitches and throwing inside to open up the outside part of the plate. Roger Clemens and Nolan Ryan were too.

As Steven says,

IF you have the control like a professional, IF can spot your pitches like a professional, IF you have the size and toughness of a professional, IF you can walk amoung the guys that you’ve tried to brush back - but nailed without getting your face pushed in, … you get the idea.

Then follow whatever advice is offered here and run with it.

Brush back’s and other “wasted” pitches are sending a signal that might no otherwise be necessary - depends on the level that your at. If you’re at a level where a youngster steps into the box and has no idea how close he is to the plate, and you send one a few inches into his “shadow”, you could be looking at one or more of the following:

umpire warning and all the other stuff that amateur umpires " assume" of you from that pitch on.
set your guys up at bat for being ding’d just to show your club who’s boss, “ain’t gonna take that #$@!”, … so you wanna play rough hugh! You get the idea.
get in the hole with a ball … for what? Pitch around the guy with you best stuff … that’s what your there for scooter.
don’t get caught up in head games!
suppose the guy doesn’t move? Now what? Gonna toss him another brush back, and another, then still another.

If you think your any kind of pitcher, worth being trusted with a hugh percentage of your fielding unit’s defensive posture, be every bit of a professional in the making my giving it your best … when your best really counts.

The amatuer world of baseball is no place to try on the suit of a pro and see how it feels. Brush backs, decking a guy, bench clearing brawls, trash talking of any kind, showing disrespect to umpires, and so on … has no place at the amateur level. Why? Because you want to show your best stuff that’s worth being “carded” and “scouted”. Performance, dependable performance, maturity, cool under pressure, respect and stability are your main added value assets. So, act like it.

In the pro’s, sure … brush backs and all kinds of other stuff happens. It’s a much different world than the one you live in - trust me on this. These men can handle whatever comes there way because their prepared for it. Amateurs on the other hand, have a long way to go in that regard. And that includes all the pro’s that were once top rated amateurs - present company respected and accepted.

Final word from me on the subject - if you really feel that you must, then I guess you must. If your really feel that you should - then I guess you should. Just prepare yourself for the “after”. It’s you that has to live with it.

Coach B.

I agree with Coach B. My advice wasn’t directed toward Little Leaguers. And when I’m talking about brushing a guy back, I’m not advocating hitting him. It’s a lot more effective to move a hitter’s feet! But, I do want to see young kids throwing inside. The sooner you can overcome the fear of hitting batters (something many young pitchers deal with!) the better you’ll be and the quicker you’ll develop into a formidable pitcher.

Danny Orr, former pitcher with the A’s organization, wrote an article for the NPA website on the four degrees of inside:

(1) Inner third of the plate
(2) Inside corner
(3) Inside, just off the plate
(4) Into the batter’s shirt

So, here’s another pro’s perspective. And, like Steven and Coach B said, he doesn’t mention hitting batters. (But he does say that many pitchers are more “ok” with hitting a batter’s shirt than with hitting a batter and that helps them learn to throw the brush back pitch with less concern - at the proper level of competition, of course.)

I only say sorry if its a good friend of mines. But if its a kid i dont know i just try thinking about getting the next guy and making sure that runner doesn’t steal on me.

Just a few days ago I was pitching and I threw inside to a hitter. He stuck his elbow out and wanted to get hit. It was a bad call by the umpire to let go to first on it. Oh well, that’s the only way he’s gonna get on base anyways.

I had one poor friend that I hit once in each game we faced his team that year. It was never on purpose. Maybe he just wasn’t any good at moving, cause I didn’t hit other people like that, lol. Even drew blood one time :shock:

did you hit him in the face or something to draw blood?

did you hit him in the face or something to draw blood?[/quote]

Shoulder. I threw really hard, lol. One time I hit my dad in the knee when he was catching for me and it tattooed the stitches into his knee for about three days. He went and bought shin guards after that.

I think if a batter is crowding the plate you should take advantage of the fact he cant hit anything on the inside part of the plate.