HS Rotation

Scorekeeper wrote:

““The result may not always come out as well as what mine did, but when you allow yourself to have your principles compromised and to be cowered by a HS coach for no good reason, its your fault and no one else’s. I was prepared to have him booted off the team by having a very good civil attorney briefed and ready to commence litigation.””

Good to stand up for your kid in that situation. You took the reasonable step of meeting with the coach first.
My sons freshman year there was a kid that went out for baseball, except, he only went to the first day of tryouts. After he didnt make the team (going to all three days was required) his mother went to the principal and AD and nagged them into making the coach give him a second private one day tryout. Of course, after the special tryout the coach said, "Thanks, but, you didnt make the team, you are welcome to try out next season and I want you to play summer ball with us this summer."
The mother then threatened a suit saying that the coach and school had discriminated against her son because he didnt have a ride to the last two days of tryouts. The AD and principal caved (immediatly) and told the coach he had no choice, he HAD to take this kid on his team. The result?
The coach quit the evening before the first game. The kid was on the team but was totally ostrocized. When he did play (wasnt much) he would come in and would sit alone on the bench. No conversation, no high fives. It was brutal to watch.
Your situation was very different of course. However, Im sure this mother did not anticipate what her actions would do to her son.
That said, Im glad you stood up to a stuborn and silly coach.

I wanted to pursue this because its something I’ve always found “interesting”.

Around here, there are generally 2 different kinds of “booster” organizations. The private schools have school boosters, but the publics I’m familiar with do things very different indeed. Each team like baseball, basketball, golf or whatever, and boy or girls, all have their own “boosters”. Actually its more like parent groups, but they come under the generic title of “booster”.

Each has its own fundraisers, own equipment, takes care of its own facilities, and any $$$ coming from snack bars or fundraisers goes totally to that team. When my son was in HS, the big crab feed was shared by the baseball and softball teams, but other than that, if you bought a can of soda at the softball snack bar, any profit went to the softball program.

So when you make a statement like the one above, I can’t really relate, but if it happens the way you say it does, I’d suggest going the route of separate “boosters” for each team.

Each club or sport does their own fundraising, snack bar ect. It was explained that the money raised would go to that sport. The money was held in a account that was managed by the boosters, an organization that oversaw maintaining the account and tracking the funds. The money that was designated for each sport (so, if the baseball team raised $8,000 at a fundraiser that money was dogeared for baseball). Long story short, a decent amount of the money that was raised by baseball for baseball went somewhere else. Not much accountability to say the least. After that a seperate account was set up just for baseball, but, again, there were inconsistancies in accounting.

Scorekeeper,
I have a lot of respect for how you handled the situation. Fortunately this is not in our community but one nearby. Our school has been the beneficiary of several good players coming here (really good HS program in our town). Parents are tranferring the kids in advance of High School or in some cases making “hard move” into our community if the kids already started high school & would lose eligability otherwise. Don’t know how I would handle myself; probably how the other parents handled. Got to admit I would be concerned about reprisal against my kid. Kudos to you; definately have some backbone.

fearsomefour,

I’m afraid that sounds a lot like some of the $$$ were going into someone’s pocket. Unfortunately, there’s always going to be those people looking to leach off of someone else. :frowning:

Scorekeeper,

Indeed. One assistant (going back a couple of years) was let go for this. But, while it is for sure a major turn off to see people so weak as to steal from a high school program, it just made me focus in a different direction. By donating to the physical needs of the program I know it is going where it is intended. No one else is going to want a pitching machine.

At my high school my coach just throws whoever hasn’t thrown in a while. Relievers will usually be chosen the same way.

The density of the schedule will determine the rotation. Coaches don’t want their horses to miss a chance at a start or sit too long and risk cooling off a hot hand. More games in a week will often force some planning, but a true rotation probably is the exception unless we’re talking a 2-3 man rotation.