HS Junior advice

You guys have been really helpful in the past. Here’s a recent video. Need your feedback on any recommended adjustments before HS practices start on 3-15.

Brian

I think you have great arm extension back but then tuck it by your ear the ball should not be tucked by the ear I would recommend trying to extend your arm back as you are kicking and keep it out until you land then snap the hips and throw do this in those stages get set and stop / kick your leg as you extend your arms then stop / and finally snap and throw if you have someone helping make sure you don’t cheat this drill will help alot

Just took a real quick look…

Start with feet closer together so he doesn’t have to go back before going forward. Then, get going forward sooner and faster. Need to see more energy, intent, and aggressiveness (and a longer stride as a result).

some things I like:

1. He has nice timing between his hips and torso. He doesn’t fly open and achieves pretty good seperation.
  2. He looks effortless

He definitely needs more momentum. I think that Roger made a good point about the spreading out his feet more. I personally think that he should also try and do crop hops. Eventually get to the point where he can do this drill.

Start out at 75 feet. Step with his back foot behind his front and then as his front leg comes forward have him lift his leg. Try to get him to do this as fast as he can. This will help him get the feel of momentum

Brian, look how he initiates in his lower half, this is the mental picture that your Andy needs to develop, your Andy has his lower half just going along for the ride, almost dainty on how he picks it up and then sets it back down…and then it’s all arm. I suggest he should use the lower half to “drive” to the target…Dan Plesac was on the MLB channel last night talking about mechanics, he thought that keeping the head/eyes as quiet as possible while getting explosive energy focused towards the plate was key…La, with his slo-mo on my Andy here caught imo a very key factor…note how he gets his hand out there, not just an immediate tuck…this very important for stabilazation/balance (Not balance point), while his body is driven to the plate, it gives him a much more fluid delivery…which also allows for a more fluid arm action.
One drill I’ve used from time to time (Centerfield practiced it with some good results) is to, from the mound, hold your arms across your chest and go through the delivery with the bottom half, work on feeling the butt/hips/thighs get it all going and it will also allow him to feel the proper trunk rotation and flexation.
Also if he doesn’t feel that this helps with getting the bottom half cookin…look to the delivery approach Mills uses and start with the step back in the wind-up…anything to get his a$$ doing more than going for the ride…remind him how important his lower half is in football and it is as important in pitching.

JD-
It looks like your boy starts out from the set with his front foot pointing back toward third base rather than being parallel to the rubber.

Why?

Brian

I asked him, he said the angle has to do with how he knee lifts…and comfort. He loads his hips by going knee to knee instead of straight up, he said if he went straight up at knee lift it would likely be parallel. Keep in mind that you see guys all the way from completely closed to completely open from the stretch. For Andy it is a “cheat” for posture, load and keeping his front shoulder closed.

[quote=“Roger”]Just took a real quick look…

Start with feet closer together so he doesn’t have to go back before going forward. Then, get going forward sooner and faster. Need to see more energy, intent, and aggressiveness (and a longer stride as a result).[/quote]

Including video from his last lesson to see if it spawns any additional thoughts.

I’ve been keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut during these lessons. Now that the HS season is about to start, he’ll be coming to me for advice. Only when he struggles!

Brian