HS in-season training

In a month, baseball season starts here in Michigan and I want to plan ahead on how I’m going to go about a training schedule for my HS freshman brother. In years past, he has wore down at the end of seasons, and he is going to be throwing more this year than ever before with a HS spring team, and summer team that goes till August. What I want is a balance were he gets his rest between pitching, but also keeps his strength up without fatiguing him. What kind of lifts would you reccommend? Sets/reps? How often/week? The day before a start or the day after a start? Body parts to focus on/parts to avoid? I have an idea of what I want to do, that’ll I’ll share later but I wanted to see what you guys think first.

And, no matter what listening to his body will be #1. Schedules are flexible and at some points in his season, lifting may be the last thing he needs. Just want to prepare for how to train a pitcher in season.

I’m probably not the right person to answer but think the training needs to happen during the off season. What did you have in mind?

Training in season to maintain the strength you gained all offseason. Helps with fatigue and recovery if not overdone. But that’s the problem; not overdoing it.

At the very top of this web page there is a topic title called - ARTICLES.

“Click” on that topic and you’ll be brought to another web page that itemizes all kinds of relevant subject matter, from COACHING to NUTRITION to DRILLS and CONDITIONING.

I’m sure with all that quality information, you can tailor a package for you brother. This is highly advisable since you know your bother better than anyone, you have a good idea of what he can, will, and will not do.

So, I’d suggest sitting down in front of your computer monitor with your brother and go over those topics that seem to fit his lifestyle, his ambitions (not yours) and let him decide what he’s willing to do working with you - or - on his own.

My questions aren’t so much of what kind of lifts to do, my questions were along the lines of a standard workload recommendation. Every athlete is different, but I was wondering for the coaches on here, what did they have their guys do when it comes to work load in season. Sets/reps, what lifts were prioritized?

This kind of response that you’re asking for is a “hands on” kind of thing that is influenced by the work-in-progress and progression, or not, of each individual.

As I mentioned in my last posting, you know your brother better than anyone, so, rather than take someone’s blueprint and try and impose it on your brother, check out the topics that I suggested and see what fits best for your bother’s situation.

Does this sound unreasonable to you?

No, but simple recommendations and suggestions based on what other guys have done with their guys, could be useful. I could then use my own judgment. That’s all I’m asking for.

We do deadlifts, weighted hip belt squats, weighted glute bridges mid week, with a bunch of mobility and soft tissue work, and also get in upper body and lower body work on the weekend days. It depends on the pitching/game schedule, obviously, but try to do strength and conditioning 3 days a week to maintain gains. Also, be use not to skip meals or skimp on meals, need to maintain weight/mass.

No, but simple recommendations and suggestions based on what other guys have done with their guys, could be useful. I could then use my own judgment. That’s all I’m asking for.

Here it is, all of it, just what you’re asking for.

Go to the top information bar of this web page and “click” on ARTICLES, then “cilick” on PITCHING DRILLS, then scroll down to the topics title and sub topics below. There’s more there than you “could ask for”. So, you’re looking for conditioning, there’s two special articles expressly for that and for your brothers age. Then you can go ahead and use your best judgment.

Pitching Workouts
Baseball Pitching Articles Throwers 10 Program
Baseball Pitching Articles Throwers 10 Exercises
Baseball Pitching Articles Running Poles
Baseball Pitching Articles Rotator Cuff Exercises For Baseball Pitchers
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Workouts
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Workout Mistakes
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Warm-up’s
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Warm-ups
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Velocity
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Training
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Trainer
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Swimming
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Stretching
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Strength Training
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Strength
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Speed Training
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Running
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Routines
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Routine
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Leg Strength
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Fitness
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Exercises
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Core Training
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Conditioning Drills
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Conditioning
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Arm Strength
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitching Agility
Baseball Pitching Articles Pitchers Workout
Baseball Pitching Articles Offseason Pitching Workouts
Baseball Pitching Articles Baseball Pitching Workouts
Baseball Pitching Articles Baseball Pitching Training
Baseball Pitching Articles Baseball Pitching Trainer
Baseball Pitching Articles Baseball Pitching Exercises
Baseball Pitching Articles Baseball Pitching Conditioning
Baseball Pitching Articles Baseball Pitching Arm Care
Baseball Pitching Articles Baseball Pitchers Warm-ups
Baseball Pitching Articles Baseball Pitchers Warm-up
Baseball Pitching Articles Baseball Pitcher Training
Baseball Pitching Articles Workouts And Pitching
Baseball Pitching Articles Throwers Ten

When asking for conditioning advice for another person – brother, cousin, etc., it’s very helpful to know some of the following: (This is a very limited sample of questions that should be in your questions.)
-Age, build – slimp, husky, tall & slim, weight, etc.
-Health issues like ahasma, nearsighted, shortness of breath, prior injuries and sprains & and how long ago.
-Attitudes towards deliberate training schedules.
-Meal plans & eating habbits.
-Environmental infullences that restrict training/playing like changing seasons and other weather conditions.
-Academic pressures.
-Social skills and coorperating with others.
-What kind of baseball experience (generally).
-And most importantly, what are the compressed time frames for seeing results for suggestions obtained here.