How to use pitchers in one week?

Hi,

I have 7 pitchers on my staff and this is how this week goes…we have one 7 inning game on either Tues or Wed…then on Thurs one 7 inning game…then we have a tournament that same weekend…one game on Friday, 2 games on Saturday, now if we make it into sunday, we might play one game, maybe two games…depends if we make it all the way to the finals…now the kids I coach are 10-11 yrs old…i have read that a pitch count should no more than 51 pitches with 4 days rest…so i was wondering how I should use them to get by this entire week without any sore arms…

all information would be great

thanks

try a 2 inn / 30 pitch max per DAY … just keep rotating them in .

[quote=“dlink”]Hi,

I have 7 pitchers on my staff and this is how this week goes…we have one 7 inning game on either Tues or Wed…then on Thurs one 7 inning game…then we have a tournament that same weekend…one game on Friday, 2 games on Saturday, now if we make it into sunday, we might play one game, maybe two games…depends if we make it all the way to the finals…now the kids I coach are 10-11 yrs old…i have read that a pitch count should no more than 51 pitches with 4 days rest…so i was wondering how I should use them to get by this entire week without any sore arms…[/quote]

First of all, you shouldn’t be playing so many games. 7 games in 5 days is completely insane (and unnecessary to their long-term success). It’s this kind of overuse (especially due to tournaments) that leads kids to get injured.

Anyway…

What I would do in your situation is have each kid start one game and go 3-4 innings as long as their pitch counts are low (e.g. 40-50 pitches). I would then bring in the pitchers from your other games as relievers, but limit them to 1-2 innings per game and not let anyone pitch in more than 3 games.

I agree with both of those ideas. Last summer i coached helped coach 12 year olds and we were in about the same situation and thats how we did it. Most of our kids would throw twice about 3-4 innings a piece and that was pretty much it.

Given that every now and then one of the pitchers will struggle and throw all or most of his pitch count in one or two innings you don’t have enough pitchers for that schedule. You need to find or develop a couple more pitchers.

I agree with CA. You would probably have to use every player on the roster to play 7 games in 5 days (and keep their arms safe).