How to throw a screwball?

is there any instructional videos or videos of a screwball rotation or a pitcher throwing a screwball? this pitch seems to be really forgotten. i know not a lot of people throw it anymore but the mechanics of throwing a good screwball seems to have disapear.

i’ve been on the internet but the explanations usually just doesnt sound right. some say snap the wrist like openning a doorknob which sounds stupid, some say its a tailling fastball, some show a 2 seam grip some a 4 seam some a curveball anyone really know the pitch?

I’ve been experimenting with the pitch its easiest to throw with a 4-seam grip
when you release it turn your wrist toward 3rd base (RHP)

I tried throwing one, had some movement. Held it like a curve but pronated as opposed to supinating.

Use a fastball grip and throw it with as much pronation as you can comfortably. Experiment with ball/seam orientation. Thrown by a RHP, a screwball should break in on a RHB.

i found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY4JEYbERVA
this is a japanese pitcher throwing a screwball but i cant really figure out how he grips the ball as to how the stiches are in place. the grip seems a little bit unortodox too it looks like some kind of vulcan change turned over but if you really take the time to look at the complete video there is slow mo front angle where you can clearly see its a screwball. this is really a weird pitch.

Notice that he doesn’t throw overhand nor 3/4. He’s sidearm. If you want to call that a screwball you can. But I’ll call it a changeup, that sinks. It doesn’t matter what it’s called. It only matters how it moves and how you use it against a batter.

A sinker is close enough in movement to a screwball. Brandon Webb and Greg Maddux can make left-handed batters flinch and give up on their sinkers.

If you want to see how a screwball is thrown, Dr. Mike Marshall has videos of his pupils demonstrating his motion and pitches.
http://drmikemarshall.com/AnalysisofDrMarshalls2007BaseballPitchers.html

Pedro Martinez throws a version of his changeup to lefties with screwball action that will break down and away. I’d have to say what you see of that Japanese pitcher is probably the same as what Pedro is throwing. Consider that Pedro has the same arm slot as him.

Jim Mecir and Armando Reynoso were two of the most recent players I remember who threw screwballs. Dallas Braden “supposedly” throws one, but it’s just a changeup that he “turns over” on. Huston Street, another sidearmer, has a changeup with screwball action similar to Pedro’s.

[quote=“xv84”]Pedro Martinez throws a version of his changeup to lefties with screwball action that will break down and away. I’d have to say what you see of that Japanese pitcher is probably the same as what Pedro is throwing. Consider that Pedro has the same arm slot as him.

Jim Mecir and Armando Reynoso were two of the most recent players I remember who threw screwballs.[/quote]

John Franco threw a screwball.