How to teach separation to a youngster? (10y)

Hi guys,
id like to teach my boy to separate under and upper body.
What i would like from you guys is some sort of a shortcut for kids…like squish the bug or something.
Or anything that would make it easier for a kid to understand what he is supposed to do!?

tnx!

To do this right, as you have asked it, requires a lot of maturity in the
muscle structure and mental discipline of a pitcher. There are no shortcuts, quick fixes or examples to follow like doing things exactly like a player that he/she admires in the Majors. This much I know.

This is the case regardless if the pitcher is a mature twenty one year old or a ten year old. Unfortunately, for the ten years old, things get a little dicey. Practice sessions have to address a lot of things that are not under his/her control, like the opportunity to practice frequently, decent fields to play and practice on, and his/her experience with the growing process.

Although I do not coach or involve myself in the amateur youth game, I have witnessed success with a method that allows a youngster to simply enjoy the game, a Sunday ritual of playing catch with dad, summer lawn chairs watching high school or other games, and stuff like that. When the time is right, about thirteen or fourteen, all this will come together for the youngster and they seem to be more receptive to a little more “do this- do that”. There must be exceptions, to be sure.

I’m sure others can give you a much better direction, specifically to your question. My contribution here was based on observing youth coaches.

Coach B.

The “cue” I use is to get the arms to be equal and opposite at front foot plant. If you can stay equal and opposite that late into the delivery, you’ve kept the shoulders closed long enough to give the hips time to open fully thus achieving maximum separation.

Equal and opposite means not much more than equal angles at the elbows. Make adjustments to the glove side arm only - not the throwing arm. It may help to move down the hill faster to get into foot plant quicker if it feels like the glove arm is having to be held out front artificially long.

So, manage the glove side and let separation happen.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]
Although I do not coach or involve myself in the amateur youth game, I have witnessed success with a method that allows a youngster to simply enjoy the game, a Sunday ritual of playing catch with dad, summer lawn chairs watching high school or other games, and stuff like that. When the time is right, about thirteen or fourteen, all this will come together for the youngster and they seem to be more receptive to a little more “do this- do that”. There must be exceptions, to be sure. Coach B.[/quote]

But enjoying baseball and be a kid doesn’t satisfy everyone. Some seemingly think one’s value is centered on pure perfection at 12. Waiting until it comes together at 13 or 14 is a significant flaw.

Coach B - I appreciate your insight.

@CB
Thanks for your input… i understand where youre comin from and i fully do agree.
Furthermore …the biggest problem is kids to get to get what youre saying!-)
repetition, repetition, repetition!..and then some even more repetition!-)

@R
Thats what i was looking for…something a kid could understand.
I will report back as how it went.
(i think i can convert this to kids language-)

@W2E
Im not sure what youre saying but im sure you cant understand what it does to a kid to be really good at something.
As a father im looking for to accelerate my kid as a kid…not as a pitcher.
Being a father i would strongly advice any parent to let them kids do something they can excel at…which is what i am doing myself.
In this case its pitching…but for all i care it could be gaming, chess or dancing…
So save your cheap hacks for some other member ty…