How to Strengthen Tendons?

So I was talking to my coach about the Mitchell Report and I asked him why pitchers take steroids because couldn’t you achieve the same muscle strength gains simply by working hard? He told me that pitchers take steroids because they strengthen the tendons which is a big deal for making velocity gains.

So I’m obviously not going to take steroids, but I was wondering how would a pitcher work out to strengthen tendons? Does that come from weight lifting? Or would there be another way to do it (i.e. tubing or something)?

Don’t steroids do just the opposite? I thought that they were really bad for your tendons because the muscle grows so much faster than the ligaments and tendons.

Your Coach meant hGH (Human Growth Hormone) not steroids. Pitcher’s will take HGH to make their ligaments and tendons increase in size and strength.

alright but does anyone know a natural way to strengthen tendons and fast twitch muscles?

There are workouts designed to increase fast twitch muscle fibres.

I have seen a few, but didn’t take an indpeth look at them.

I’m sure someone on here like kc will be able to help you out.

Lift heavy things.

To start, though this has already been established, steroids do the opposite in a sense. Steroids allow the body heal faster, so that one can lift very heavy loads more frequently than they normally could. Whether on steroids or not, if a person just lifts extremely heavy all the time, they will more than likely get hurt eventually. This is because by lifting such heavy weights, they will be making major gains as far as their large muscles are concerned, but their small connective tissue, will not be able to keep up. This unbalanced strength will eventually cause injury (most likely) to those small connective tissue, and that is the reason why one sign of steroid use is break down or constant injury.

Now onto a little biology. Your body has 2 types of muscle fiber, type 1, or slow twitch fibers, these are used for endurance activities, or tasks that don’t require maximum strength; and type 2, or fast twitch fibers, these come into play when a task utilizes more than 25 percent of your maximum strength. The type 1 fibers are what are called “prime movers.” Your body recruits them first in any activity. The the activity takes more strength, than your fast twitched muscles are recruited.

Your small connective tissues are worked every time you do any lift with any load. They however increase in strength at a much slower pace than the major muscles.

So to put it all together, this is one main reason periodization training is so widely accepted. You need to lift heavy to make sure you hit all your fibers, however if you lift heavy all the time you are going to be getting way ahead of your small connective tissue. So by doing periods of heavy weight and low reps, and light weight and high reps, your giving your small connective tissue its best shot at keeping up!

Hope this was able to help and good luck with your training.